Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Coolant fluid change

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2012, 4:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant fluid change

Hey guys,

I'm planning on changing my radiator fluid as soon as my DEI Radiator Relief gets here. I spoke to one of their reps and he suggested I also add a water pump lubricant, so I'm wondering what product you guys recommend for that?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

R.
Old October 31st, 2012, 4:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always trusted good ole' glycol (Prestone) type antifreeze.

Loose the DEXCOOL with a through flush.No need for expensive additives with regular maintenance.

Never had a cooling system issue with the "green" stuff in over 30 years unlike lots of people using the "red" stuff.

Just need to change it more often which is a good idea anyway.Cooling systems are arguably the most neglected system in vehicles today.
Old October 31st, 2012, 5:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, I was actually going to go with the DEI Radiator relief and destilled water. I've read and heard some good stuff about it. I wanted to get some more info on it so I called the manufacturer and he suggested using a water pump lube just to play it safe.
Old October 31st, 2012, 9:22 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the water pump lube they recommend
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Use the water pump lube they recommend
they didn't, hence this question here. Sorry for the ignorance guys, but i'm just getting into this.
Old November 1st, 2012, 8:58 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I just changed the coolant in my 07 and replaced it with a 50/50 pre mix of dex-cool, it was 5 yrs old. I found no issues with the fittings, all clean and pit free... my parts person tells me that people that have had problems with dex-cool, are having it because it turns acidic if its allowed to get too hot from getting low. ( poor maintenance)
I did not add any other conditioners
Old November 3rd, 2012, 4:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed,some people will have no issues with Dex-Cool, others will.

One thing to keep in mind though is if your buy the "50/50 Mix",whether Green or Red,you are buying 50% that is just water.

The greatest marketing ploy on earth.Then when you add a bit if water to top it off you are below 50/50....

I would advise to not waste money on pre-mixed antifreeze and buy a gallon of distilled water instead if you want to spend money on water.

Of course that is just my opinion .
Old November 3rd, 2012, 5:37 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I opted for the premix because I wasn't fully flushing only replacing what came out when the hoses were removed. I didn't know how much I was going to need so the premix was best option for me..
Old November 3rd, 2012, 6:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I think what 67 was refering to wasn't the need for water 50/50 mix per say, but if the antifreeze is the same price for 50/50 and full concentrate buy the concentrate. I went back two years ago in my 2000 suburban with dexcool after a flush. Lumina specs dexcool for it. I got it used, had glycol, flushed it, replaced ALL hoses, went back with glycol (green). Mazda I think uses dexcool also, it is time for it to also get a flushing hopefully before the (my predicition) of a hard midwest winter.
Old November 29th, 2012, 4:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey guys,
I'm due to flush and replace the coolant on my 02 Tahoe LT 5.3L.

In the manual it says to remove the cylinder block plugs and drain the coolant. Here's my question, I've looked all over the bottom of that engine and I can't find any cylinder plug. Could it be possible that my truck doesn't have them. As per the book there's supposed to be 2 of them, one on each side.

If I dont' have them, what i was planning on doing to flush the system was to drain the radiator by the drain plug, then disconnect the main radiator hose, stick the water hose in the radiator turn the water and engine on, put the heater on high and let everything flush out. Am I on track here?

Thanks guys.
R.

Quick Reply: Coolant fluid change