Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cylinder 6 misfire

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2016, 5:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder 6 misfire

I was trying to find a DIY walk-thru for removing an injector. Because i have never removed an injector in my life.
I have already put a new spark plug. Swapped out coil pack. And swapped out that wire... Truck still riding rough and not giving me the power im used to..

After changing all these things, i cleared codes, and it came back in 30 secs, misfire cylinder #6.. And i know cylinder #6 is the 2nd to the last on the passenger side when facing the truck.
So does anyone have step by step for me and any recommendations.. Oh i also ohm the injector after i removed the plug from it... It was 14.1 ~ 14.2
And i dont know how to remove the fuel rail...

2008 Chevy Suburban ~ 150k miles

Last edited by Romeo5k; August 19th, 2016 at 6:20 PM.
Old August 20th, 2016, 9:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

#6 is an afm cylinder. the lifter may have collapsed. do a compression check on cyl 6

google afm

It is notable that the second generation system uses engine oil to hydraulically modulate engine valve function. As a result, the system is dependent upon the quality of the oil in the engine. As anti-foaming agents in engine oil are depleted, air may become entrained or dissolve in the oil, delaying the timing of hydraulic control signals. Similarly engine oil viscosity and cleanliness is a factor. Use of the incorrect oil type, i.e. SAE 20W40 instead of SAE 20W50, or the failure to change engine oil at factory recommended intervals can also significantly impair system performance

Last edited by tech2; August 20th, 2016 at 9:14 AM.
Old August 21st, 2016, 6:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Thank you for your response.. And i went ahead and finally managed to get the injector replaced. Still have a misfire on 6. I am led to to believe you are absolutely correct. Im going to call my extended warranty people tomorrow.. I pray i will not have issues with them fixing this..
Thank you once again. You just taught me something new..

Originally Posted by tech2
#6 is an afm cylinder. the lifter may have collapsed. do a compression check on cyl 6

google afm

It is notable that the second generation system uses engine oil to hydraulically modulate engine valve function. As a result, the system is dependent upon the quality of the oil in the engine. As anti-foaming agents in engine oil are depleted, air may become entrained or dissolve in the oil, delaying the timing of hydraulic control signals. Similarly engine oil viscosity and cleanliness is a factor. Use of the incorrect oil type, i.e. SAE 20W40 instead of SAE 20W50, or the failure to change engine oil at factory recommended intervals can also significantly impair system performance
Old August 21st, 2016, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

The same thing happened to my uncle's 08 Silverado at about 85k miles last year. It started with cel for cylinder 5 misfire and quickly the engine started tapping. The cam lobes on on 5 flattened out and they had to replace the cam and all the lifters. It was out of warranty and ended up costing him about 4k out of pocket.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 7:14 AM
CF Junior Member

See, now I'm really scarred because i know extended warranty companies are crooks as well (well when they want to be). The problem I'm now facing with my self is, do i tell the warranty company what i know. Do i tell them, i had O'reillyAuto pull the codes and i changed out the plug and injector and coil pack+wire? Or do i tell the dealer when i take it there i have done such things? or do i just play dumb and act like I've never worked on a vehicle?
And why doesn't GM do a recall for this nonsense, rather than making customer go through a headache?

**I went ahead and threw in the main important part of my warranty **PDF ATTACHED****
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
warranty info.pdf (268.0 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by Romeo5k; August 22nd, 2016 at 7:41 AM. Reason: added my warranty info
Old September 24th, 2016, 7:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Default New news

WELL, earlier this week, i received a call from the dealer stating my extended warranty decided to accept the claim and decided to change the motor. The warranty company was getting a motor shipped in rather than using JK Chevrolet i guess.. They did also say it would be a rebuilt motor ( WHAT DO I CARE THO? ::shrugs:
They stated not only did the lifters fail, there was scarring in the camshaft, (whatever that means)
I think after this, im going to get a programmer. I want to see if there is a function to disable the afm!! I think im saved. We shall see when the bill comes out tho.. I should have my bur anytime now..
Originally Posted by tech2

google afm