Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dashboard light show

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2014, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard light show

Hi. I'm having no luck finding a problem like this described anywhere so I was hoping someone here might have some ideas.

On occasion in my 2000 Tahoe (new body style, 5.3L) the ABS warning light will come on for a moment and then go out. Sometimes this is all that will happen. On other occasions it will start doing this and then what appears to be all of the warning lights will suddenly come on at the same time. After a second or so the lights go out but the air bag light will stay on for a couple more seconds. Since there is no seat belt law here I may not have then on for a short trip and in that case the seat belt light will stay on longer.

The air bag and seat belt lights behave this way when the vehicle is first started so it seems like whatever is going on resets the warning lights.

None of this seems to affect driveability and the vehicle still operates normally.

Whether it is related I can't say but the DIC was indicating a problem with the air ride, which is the type that pumps up the rear shocks for towing. I'm pretty sure the rear shocks are leaking as the compressor tends to come on when the vehicle is started. That problem seems to be a sensor. The message on the DIC was on regularly but lately has been going out. The last time I drove it, the DIC was just displaying "Security".

Again, driveability is still fine.

Recently the power steering has been inconsistent, which I believe may be the steering speed sensor. I have picked one up to try replacing it.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I would really like to fix this.
Old August 20th, 2014, 7:56 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a similar issue on my '01 Burb. The cluster would "reset" occasionally - just like the light check when you first start it.

I couldn't find the cause, and was wanting to upgrade to an HD cluster to have the trans temp gauge, so I bought the HD cluster and that solved the problem.

At the risk of sounding silly, I'd say try jiggling the plug of the cluster. Could just be a loose connection, or some oxidation on the contacts. The cluster bevel just pries off, and then there are 4 7mm bolts holding the cluster in. The plug is at the top of the opening. Chock your wheels, move the gear shifter all the way down to "1" and tilt the wheel all the way down - will make it easier to get to and remove the bezel and cluster.

Last edited by intheburbs; August 20th, 2014 at 7:58 AM.
Old August 20th, 2014, 8:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to add that for the air ride, at least in the newer trucks, I don't think its uncommon for the compressor to come on for a few seconds when starting the truck. I'm pretty sure its only supposed to be for a few seconds, to test the system for pressure. So if yours is running quite a bit, it could be the shocks.

You do want to consider fixing the shocks sooner than later because the compressor running all the time can burn it out. Then your fixing both, and it would likely be quite expensive.