Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dead autoride compressor - no info center light?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 1:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead autoride compressor - no info center light?

Just pulled the autoride compressor from my 01 burb. Its pooched. Kinda knew that was the case, but curiously I never got a warning message from the driver control centre on the dash. Even with the pump disconnected there is still no message displayed on the dash. I'm wondering other owners have seen this condition or wether I'm looking at some other problem along with a dead autoride compressor.
Old June 15th, 2009, 7:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Just tuning up my english here...your "autoride" is that what I would call the Cruise control?
Old June 15th, 2009, 7:35 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default no

negative. the GM autoride is part of a semi active suspension system that gives a better ride using air bags to level the back end when towing or hauling a lot of people or cargo.

from some site:

Autoride Benefits
Autoride is a fully automatic ride control system that continually adjusts
the damping level on each of the four individual shock absorbers to provide
superior ride quality and handling performance. Autoride's "tow/haul" mode
helps improve vehicle body control while towing and hauling by offering
increased levels of damping. Also included with Autoride is automatic rear
level control, an air suspension system that helps keep the vehicle level over
a wide range of passenger and loading conditions while also maintaining rear
ride travel.

Autoride Operation
Autoride uses an electronic control module (ECM) to continuously monitor
brake, throttle and steering inputs as well as vehicle body and wheel motions.

Using this data, the ECM can maintain optimum ride quality by separately and
electronically adjusting the hydraulic fluid flow through the valuing discs in
the shock absorbers. This results in enhanced body control motion and a
pleasing, refined and well-isolated ride.
"The global controlled suspension market is estimated to grow 10 percent
over the next six years, but Delphi estimates nearly a 15 percent CAGR
(Compounded Annual Growth Rate) during that timeframe," said Guy C. Hachey,
president, Delphi Energy & Chassis. "Delphi has become a dominant player in
the controlled suspension market and we look forward to future growth with
innovations such as Autoride, MagneRide(TM) (controlled damping) and Active
Stabilizer Bar System (roll control)."
Delphi's Autoride comes standard on the GMC Yukon Denali and Yukon XL
Denali. The product is also standard on the Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
and Escalade ESV where it is known as Road Sensing Suspension.
For more information about Delphi, visit http://www.delphi.com/media .
Old July 23rd, 2009, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Autoride compressor

I just bought an '02 Tahoe LT with Autoride. It rode great on the test drive, but sagged when I had 2 sales guys sit on the rear bumper. I bought it anyway. I also didn't have a message center light come on. The mechanic at the dealer said everything else was OK but the compressor was totally corroded out. He put in a new compressor and the leveling works now. After 7 years, the rubber "bags" on the rear shocks aren't in the best shape. www.arnottindustries.com has a pair of OEM rears for $479.-. I ordered them today. They also have the fronts for $199.- each. I hear the dealer quotes $500.- a corner.They also have the compressor for $179.-, but it's just the compressor without the air dryer or the "cage" it bolts into. The bolts holding the compressor into the cage broke off so I had to get the whole assembly from the dealer. Now I have to ship the bare compressor back to Arnott with a 20% restocking fee. Oh well... Hope this helps.
Old July 24th, 2009, 1:10 AM
CF Beginner

I might be interested in the compressor. Please let me know if you still have it.
Old July 24th, 2009, 7:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Compressor replaced - autoride working

I ordered a replacement compressor from Arnott Industries. Installed it myself in half an hour. Autoride now working. Still wonder why the "service autoride" warning was never displayed. Oh well. Arnott Industries sells a nice replacement unit. Would recommend it to other Autoride owners.
Old October 29th, 2009, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gurbax
I ordered a replacement compressor from Arnott Industries. Installed it myself in half an hour. Autoride now working. Still wonder why the "service autoride" warning was never displayed. Oh well. Arnott Industries sells a nice replacement unit. Would recommend it to other Autoride owners.

So you had no trouble with the compressor from Arnott? I'm looking at the same problem on my '00 burb, but had read about problems with mounting it and was leary. You did it yourself -- could a novice do it or are you pretty mechanically inclined? I put the new rear shocks on myself if that gives you a hint at my abilities......or lack there-of!!!
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Install Arnott Compressor is easy

Hi,

If your mechanically inclined enough to swap out shocks, then the compressor should be no trouble for you to change. I'm no grease monkey and it was an easy job for me.

Be careful mounting the dryer to the new compressor as it seats OK on the new compressor but it still somewhat of a wobbly fit. I ended up breaking the tabs on the dryer and had to use a large hose clamp to seat the dryer onto the compressor. My Arnott compressor works fine but take your time and save yourself this frustration. You'll have no issues otherwise.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks gurbax -- i'm gonna take the leap & get one through arnott and go for the install in my "shop" -- i'll let you know how it goes -- thanks again
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Does anyone know where to get a new "dryer" for the compressor? My new compressor from Arnott quit working after a couple of months so I took it to the Dealer to find out was wrong with the system now and they said the level control exhaust valve wasn't working and the compressor needs to be replaced. I called Arnott and they told me to ship it back to them so they could inspect it to find out if they would cover it under warranty. I pulled the compressor this evening and for giggles hooked it up to 12V and it worked fine. Not sure where to go from here, any help would be great.

Quick Reply: Dead autoride compressor - no info center light?