Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

DIC Vs Hand Calc MPG

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Sensi 73shark made a statement early on about eventually running out of gas if only going by the DIC amount used... the last tank I let run down below the quarter mark... I put in the 18.6 used and the needle just barely clipped the "full" hash mark... I just filled up again with 10.6 used and this time the needle did not reach the full hash mark and was a good needle width off....

I'll let it run down to the half and make note of "used" and what I can get in to the first shut off...
Old April 15th, 2014, 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to be a broken record but I simply don't believe the DIC will ever be as accurate as hand calculations. I've just experienced it on too many vehicles to think otherwise.
Old April 15th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Sensi 73shark made a statement early on about eventually running out of gas if only going by the DIC amount used... the last tank I let run down below the quarter mark... I put in the 18.6 used and the needle just barely clipped the "full" hash mark... I just filled up again with 10.6 used and this time the needle did not reach the full hash mark and was a good needle width off....

I'll let it run down to the half and make note of "used" and what I can get in to the first shut off...
As I said previously, if you continue to only put in what the DIC says was used, you will run out of gas eventually. Or you'll get to the point of putting in a very limited amount.
Old April 16th, 2014, 8:59 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default gauges

Originally Posted by Dave01
I hate to be a broken record but I simply don't believe the DIC will ever be as accurate as hand calculations. I've just experienced it on too many vehicles to think otherwise.

Yea, I don't trust my Tachometer, speedometer, or odometer either... and the damn microwave's been giving me dirty looks as well...

that's why I personally walk each mile I drive, using both a GPS and hand held measuring wheel. then I drive back each way 3 times, while using a trained squirrel to watch the engine spin around and count the spins while my trained penguin keeps time, carrying the world's smallest atomic clock on his back

seriously, it's all going to be irrelevant in 20 years

For me, sooner.

the plan is summer 2015 to give the Tahoe to the Wife, and pickup a Model S!

No more MPG for me!
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sabr, I'm willing to break in that Model S for you, just say the word! I'm with you, can't wait to have one, but for me I don't think it's in the cards in the near future.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 3:24 PM
Administrator

Well I just filled up the other day, let it run down to the fuel light...
DIC says I used 18 gallons, when I filled up to first click I got in 22.1 gallons... that is 4 gallons different
Now the real head scratcher is the MPG, DIC says 18.3 mpg but hand calculated says 14.95 I have never gotten that low of mpg even with hand calculated.. that tank lasted me almost 3 weeks and per the trip odo 329 miles..
something is amiss...
Old May 2nd, 2014, 9:43 PM
Administrator

You just made up the difference in all of those fillups where you just put in what the DIC said you used and the truck actually used more than that. Think that's what I said would happen awhile back.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 73shark
You just made up the difference in all of those fillups where you just put in what the DIC said you used and the truck actually used more than that. Think that's what I said would happen awhile back.
Absolutely I agree you were correct, I am just trying to piece together the accuracy of the DIC, I think it is correct for the most part however I want to be able to reconcile it with hand calculations and its making it a real challenge to do so...
Old May 4th, 2014, 7:01 PM
Administrator

Will run the math on my actual figures vs DIC when I get caught up here at home.
Old May 8th, 2014, 6:39 PM
Administrator

Ran the numbers on the last 15 fill-ups which were all done at the same pump. The average error was 4% w/ the DIC being high. While I didn't normalize for the amount of the fill, they were all for about 3/4 tank and the spread was about 2% to 5%.

Quick Reply: DIC Vs Hand Calc MPG