Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

A different turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2020, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A different turn signal issue

I have a 2004 Suburban LT 1500 with 303K miles, and am having a turn signal issue. I've seen lots of posts where folks have a problem with the flasher fast-blinking when a light is out - but I seem to be having the opposite problem. Very often when slowing for a turn and signaling left, the left signal light will turn on and STAY on, without flashing. I can see it lit on both the instrument cluster and the sideview mirror, and cannot hear the flasher clicking. If I reset the stick and resignal, it almost always works properly that second time. I've never noticed the issue on a right turn, or with the hazards. And it's intermittent - I don't have the problem on every turn and have been unable to reproduce it on-demand, it seems to only want to stick when I'm in most danger of being rear-ended or sideswiped. :-)

All the lights are working properly when I check them, although as I said I can't seem to reproduce the "sticking" so it's possible one is out when the problem occurs - although I'd expect a fast flash then, not stuck on. No signs of water in the housings, no lights recently replaced. I'm tempted to replace the flasher unit but the wiring diagram suggests that would probably be folly - the flasher itself doesn't seem wired to care if you're signaling left or right.

I'd welcome any suggestions on possible cause or steps I can take to try to track this down - thanks!