Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Disable Auto Dimming

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2013, 1:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disable Auto Dimming

I hate this, hate hate hate hate it with a burning passion. My rearview mirror and drivers do this and I can't ever see a dam thing at night! Thankfully it doesn't work on the passenger mirror so I can at least see. I almost got into an accident because of this feature and don't want to do it again.

How on earth do I disable it?
Old August 20th, 2013, 1:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to be able to switch it off quickly. I like it most of the time but when I am pulling through our gate I can not see the open gate to tell if I am far enough in. I know when the tail light, lights up the gate I know I am far enough but the drivers mirror is too dark to see the gate at all, even when I use the brake lights it is not bright enough to see.
Old August 20th, 2013, 9:28 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Haven't checked lately but doesn't the ON/OFF switch on the mirror turn the auto-dimming off?

Personally I never figured out the logic in not having the psgr side mirror dim also.
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:50 PM
CF Senior Member

Hmmm, I always thought that was for the temp and direction display. My old burb, if you hit ON/OFF or F/C both would turn off the display in the mirror.
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Haven't checked lately but doesn't the ON/OFF switch on the mirror turn the auto-dimming off?

Personally I never figured out the logic in not having the psgr side mirror dim also.
I think you are right about that I will have to check it and see if it turns off the drivers mirror too.
Old August 21st, 2013, 8:40 PM
Administrator

My owner's manual states that it turns off the dimming function. But it also says if you have the RVC, that it doesn't. Not sure what that means but next time I'm out at nite, will check it out as I do have the RVC.

Edit: I'll bet that if the RVC display is in the mirror, then it doesn't turn off the dimming function.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:25 AM
CF Senior Member

RVC? Im guessing thats the display. And yes, it just turns off the display. I was out around 10. ERRRRR!!! I hate this! its nice having only ONE USEFUL MIRROR AT NIGHT!!!!!! Why does everything have to be freaking auto this auto that. It burns me to no end. 66 Mustang and 64 Thunder Bird, both have a little **** on the mirror for Night and Day, if I yes ME want it to be dimmed I will dim it if I want to!! How is this helping me when I cant see a dam thing at night? How come a 64 T Bird and a 66 Mustang both have a superior mirror than a freaking $60K SUV????

Wait, I only have the Temp and Direction in my mirror, I hate the new ones with them on the dash, really stupid. But the Power button control the Temp and Direction...
Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:27 AM
CF Junior Member

My old burb (2005) had the direction and the temp in the mirror the new burb has it on the dash. But I have seen a newer escalade (the show flip or flop) that have the temp and direction in the mirror. Can you still get the mirror with the temp and direction?

And what is RVC? I think I want that...
Old August 23rd, 2013, 3:05 PM
Administrator

RVC = Rear View Camera

Perhaps reading the manual will clear up any confusion as to what the On/Off switch on the mirror does for your particular model.
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Thank you Shark.
I can't get to the manual as it has been packed up in storage right now.

But I did try it and it worked for my burb as I was pulling through the gate late Saturday night I turned off the mirror and I was able to see the gate as I passed it in the drivers side mirror. Also, I do have the RVC.

Quick Reply: Disable Auto Dimming