Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Disable Auto Dimming

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Joe in NY,

For the 2007 Suburban the automatic dimming mirror function is turned on automatically each time the ignition is started. To turn off the automatic dimming mirror function, press and hold the on/off button for six seconds, until the green indicator lights turn off.

Blue Dog,

Are you looking to switch mirrors?

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 26th, 2013, 3:33 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Does the on/off switch function the same way for the 2010 model?
Old August 28th, 2013, 9:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service

Blue Dog,

Are you looking to switch mirrors?

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
No I love the auto dimming mirrors they work well but I live very far away from city lights and the drives side mirror is too dark to see anything. So now that I know I can just turn it off I am good with that. Plus I do have very dark tint so that does not help.
Thanks for the concern
Old August 28th, 2013, 4:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blue Dog
Thank you Shark.

But I did try it and it worked for my burb as I was pulling through the gate late Saturday night I turned off the mirror and I was able to see the gate as I passed it in the drivers side mirror.
So someone was behind you that caused the mirror to dim?
Old August 29th, 2013, 9:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
So someone was behind you that caused the mirror to dim?
No my mirrors go dark as soon as it is dark outside. That's how my 2005 Burb was too. Don't really know about the inside rearview because that darn DVD sceen in usually down so I can't see anything out of that mirror anyway, I hate that set up need to change it to headrest monitors. I think the mirrors lighten when I put it in reverse, but I can't remember when I was backing the trailer up last June. I don't use reverse very often 1 time a week maybe.
Old August 29th, 2013, 5:45 PM
Administrator

Something is wrong if the mirrors dim when there's no lites behind you to trigger the sensor which I believe is in the rear view mirror.
Old August 29th, 2013, 7:59 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I think it senses the ambient light (or lack of) and is partially dim when its dark out and goes even darker if bright light is sensed through the rear view mirror sensor..
I notice that it is hard to see out of my rear view in the morning backing out of the garage because the rear view is dimmed. The street light illuminates the area enough if I turn around and look out the back glass, but not so much if I am using the rear view mirror...
Old August 29th, 2013, 8:36 PM
Administrator

Try turning off the auto dim function when you think it's dimming without any bright light behind you to see if the mirror lightens up.
Old August 29th, 2013, 9:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna try it now
Old August 29th, 2013, 9:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YESSS!!! IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU!!!! There is a car parked sideways behind me, so, I turned the key and held the brakes. The rear view and drivers started to dim some, much darker than the passenger mirror, I then took my phone and shined the screen into the light sensor and the rear view and drivers got extremely dark, I could barely see the car with the brake lights, they slowly started brighten up a little, but not much, I then turned off the auto dimming and both came right up to full brightness like the passenger! I can see!!! I then turned it back on and watched the drivers and rear view dim more, I held my phone to the sensor and they got real again, and brightened up when I took it away.

YAY! Thank you, I know there are many hidden things to these cars. I know a good bit of it, but, holing the Power button for the Temp/Compass, really chevy??? Any other cool hidden things I might not know of??

Quick Reply: Disable Auto Dimming