Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Disable sensor on low beams

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2006, 11:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Disable sensor on low beams

ORIGINAL: xclusive

the problem with doin this is like u said it momentary switch so u have to do this everytime u get into the truck, which is a pain... are you sure the ball in the center of the dash is the sensor. i thought it might have been the built in compass...
Trust me - it is. In fact, it says so in the manual. Try this - in the morning with the sun shining, cover the dome with a styrofoam cup and see what happens....

As for getting to it - I turn the floor over to those who know how to remove it. Do look at the Navigation Installation post from ZX - he has instructions in there on how to do remove the dash.
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I know it says in the manual. However when you start the car each time and you are in a dark location the low beams will come on. I am trying to avoid that. What it says in the manual is just for a temporary fix as you start the car. Once the car is shut up and started up again, it will go back to its default setting of the low beams being turned on it dark locations.
Old November 27th, 2006, 5:11 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The round ball is the photo-cell ambient light sensor that controls the auto-lamps and climate control system. To get to the sensor you will need to remove both a-pillar moldings first then pop off the panel.

The auto-lamp system cannot be disabled permanently it is designed to default to ON every time the ignition key is recycled for obvious reasons and you will have to disarm the auto-lamps each time you start the vehicle.
It will remain this way until some genius develops a black box (similar to GM Lock-pick) that will work around this, but my guess is that there isn't enough call to warrant development of this item though.
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Such a desired item does exist. Back when I had a 1999 Silverado, I purchased a kit off an internet store that I installed to disable the auto headlight feature. I ended up with a button on the dash that looked factory. I can't find where on-line it is, and I can't find any old paperwork. I got rid of all of the paerwork when I sold the truck.

I will keep looking and if I find it I will post the contact info.
Old November 29th, 2006, 3:30 AM
CF Active Member

If you can find that information that would be GREAT!! I really need that. Hopefully you can find something for us.
Old December 8th, 2006, 7:03 PM
CF Active Member

Any luck finding that website to buy the disable of the low beams?
Old December 8th, 2006, 7:26 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no device that exists at the moment that is compatible with the GMT900, I promise.
Old December 17th, 2006, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

It's not as easy as unplugging theambient light sensor to dis-able it. Onmy 2001 Tahoe I was able to access the ambient light sensor without taking the top dashboard off. I took off the front dash trim and pulled the factory stereo out and was able to get ahold of the ambient light sensor behind the stereo (right side sensorwith white and gray wires attached). I then un-latched the glovebox so it would swing down and on the left hand sidebehind the glove box you can pull the ambient light sensor down (white and gray wires).... After I unplugged the sensor the lights still come on.

I thought of jumperingthe wires togetherbut from what I've been reading aboutlight sensors, the sensor gets poweron one wire and sends a "signal"on the other wire back the onboard computer tellingthe BCM its sensing"daylight" and signalsthe relay to turn the lights off.

Am I wrong on this? can someone with more technical electrical experience comment?
Old December 18th, 2006, 1:39 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: ChadS

It's not as easy as unplugging theambient light sensor to dis-able it. Onmy 2001 Tahoe I was able to access the ambient light sensor without taking the top dashboard off. I took off the front dash trim and pulled the factory stereo out and was able to get ahold of the ambient light sensor behind the stereo (right side sensorwith white and gray wires attached). I then un-latched the glovebox so it would swing down and on the left hand sidebehind the glove box you can pull the ambient light sensor down (white and gray wires).... After I unplugged the sensor the lights still come on.

I thought of jumperingthe wires togetherbut from what I've been reading aboutlight sensors, the sensor gets poweron one wire and sends a "signal"on the other wire back the onboard computer tellingthe BCM its sensing"daylight" and signalsthe relay to turn the lights off.

Am I wrong on this? can someone with more technical electrical experience comment?
The ambient light sensor is basically a variable resistor . The resistance value will vary depending on the intensity of the ambient light.

So in theory if you were to determine what that resistance value is in broad daylight you may be able to disconnect the sensor and replace it witha resistor of the value you recorded.

This will mimic the sensor always seeing daylight , thus , not controlling your headlights automatically.
Old December 18th, 2006, 2:11 AM
CF Beginner

Golfer, thanks for your input..
This afternoon after I disconnected the sensor and the lights remained on. I started thinking sensor was a variable resistor too... but when I attach my ohmmeter it reads "open-load" (no resistance) in daylight or darkness... the next step I'm thinking about (when it gets sunny again) is attaching it back into the BCM wiring harness and taking a milivoltmeasurement on the white (ambient light sensor "signal") and the gray (ambient light sensor "reference").

Ihave a feeling that the sensor actually outputs a milivolt signal that corresponds into "lumin's" that the BCM (body control module)reads and determines how"light" it is.... Thats the way it works with the ambient light sensorsin commercial buildings (to automatically turn on parking lot lights) or so I've been reading.

Quick Reply: Disable sensor on low beams