Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Disconnecting EGR / Evap valves

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2008, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnecting EGR / Evap valves

Hello everyone!I just started playing around with my 98 Tahoe 4x4 and am in the process of messing around with the intake manifold (and the aweful CSFI)as well asputting headers on it. My main question is about the EGR and evap stuff on the intake mainfold. I dont need the emission controls to pass anything so I am wondering if I can take off the EGR and evap and put block off plates on the manifold (headers dont have a fitting for the EGR) or if doing so would throw the computer into a fit. I also have a superchips programmer if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any help!
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RE: Disconnecting EGR / Evap valves

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. My suspicion is that when you start removing emission items that affect the operation of the engine, then your computer is going to throw codes. []

It might be so bad that the SuperChips won't even work right.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
CF Beginner

Wanna find out? Since the EGR isnt active until everything warms up real well it shouldnt be any big deal to unplug it for a couple mins and see if the engine sorts it out or if the superchips can deal with it etc... I would try it but I sort of have no intake on mine atm, not to mention headers or an exhaust system lol.

Biggest reason for asking is that if it is able to work without it or there is a work around to trick the computer it would allow me (or anyone else with an L31 and CSFI) to use some of the better intake manifolds (stock is just an air space with very short runners) and convert to MPFI without having to adapt one from the marine duty L31 (which is the same design just has MPFI fuel rails). I figured it might have been a shot in the dark but it cant hurt to ask.

If you actually do try the EGR or the evap sensor let me know how it turns out please... very curious.

Laters
Old January 4th, 2008, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Aww no adventurers out there I see... thats alright. I have an Edelbrock manifold(no provision for EGR or evap)and the updated MPFI unit. Will be fitting them to the truck when I get the time (along with the headers). Worst case I will just have to fab an EGR and evap mounting point and plum them with lines, best case the computer wont care or someone will tell me how to get it to ignore the codes hehe.

Will have to see what happends