Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Distributor sits on 7 after cylinder head replacement.

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2013, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor sits on 7 after cylinder head replacement.

I replaced the cylinder heads of our 99 Suburban, and all looks great, but it doesn't want to start. I checked the distributor to see if the timing is off, and I noticed that the rotor sits at cylinder 7 in the cap.

The truck was not cranked during replacement and the only fit to get the distributor all the way in is if the rotor sits on cylinder 7.

Now I understand that the rotor turns around and that it might have sat there all along, but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Any advise is appreciated. i need this truck going as my other car is being used and abused.
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you just mark the body of the distributor, not the rotor? If you did, it is still possible to be 180 out. Lift the distributor out and turn the rotor 180 degrees and try again. It will fit. If that doesn't work you will have to find TDC and install the distributor that way, then use a scan tool to time it.

Last edited by RichC10; August 30th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

I probably have to reset the timing starting with TDC and go from there. I am little unexperienced when it come to the second part of your answer. What is the best method or tool to use to tweak the timing once the distributor sits in?
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Alwaysdutch
I probably have to reset the timing starting with TDC and go from there. I am little unexperienced when it come to the second part of your answer. What is the best method or tool to use to tweak the timing once the distributor sits in?
When I rebuilt mine, I put a mark on the intake to show where the rotor should point at TDC. It went back together perfectly. If you have the rotor off more that a degree or two, it may run but the check engine light will be on. From what I've heard you will have to take it to a dealership to have it timed with their super expensive scan tool. To get it to run, turn the engine to TDC on the compression stroke and point the rotor to the #1 cyl. You may have to use a long flat screwdriver to turn the oil pump drive to get it to mate with the bottom of the distributor.
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

I have not heard about visits to the dealership and hopefully it is not needed for a '99 model.....
Old August 30th, 2013, 3:12 PM
Super Moderator

I have not heard about visits to the dealership and hopefully it is not needed for a '99 model.....
It doesn't matter if you stabbed the Distributor wrong.

Just pull #1 Plug, rotate to compression stroke and set the Timing Mark on the Pointer.

Wherever the Rotor is pointing, stick #1 wire in there, and follow the firing order in a clockwise direction. You may have to ease the Distributor one way or another to get it to crank. Then time appropriately.
Old August 30th, 2013, 7:36 PM
CF Junior Member

It is..... Unless you get really lucky. Turning the distributor body does not affect timing at all, just the wear point on the terminals in the cap. Spark is controlled by the computer and the crank sensor.