Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Do you rotate your own tires?

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you rotate your own tires?

I've rotated them twice myself so far. I don't let the dealer do anything I can do with my own hands. The first time I tried to re-learn the TPS locations and it wouldn't recognize one wheel. I took it to the dealer and even they had trouble with their fancy hand-held device. They started to think there was a problem until one of the mechanics came out and got it to re-learn on his first try.

The second time I didn't even bother trying to relearn the positions.... if one flags as low, i'll figure out which one it ismyself with a tire gauge.

BTW, I like the front to back and back to opposite front way of rotating them. It seems more thorough.
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM
CF Junior Member

No offense to the do-it yourself crowd (I personally change my oil and do all of my scheduled maintanance) but the cost-benefit of rotating the tires is not there unless you own lift jacks etc.... if the vehicle is not jacked properly it could fall and there goes your savings... my thought 20 or 25 bucks is money well spent. Some repairs/procedures are best left to the pros. I do agree the oil change at home is a questionable home repair with the adventof quick oil changes, at often low prices at your chevydealer (obviouslyloss leader pricingdesigned to get you to pay for additional repairs or possibly fall in love with a new vehicle) not worth the hassle unless you want to make sure all of the fluids have been properly checked and oil plugs properly torqued..
Old February 20th, 2008, 6:29 PM
CF Junior Member

I agree, if it weren't for the access I have to lifts I'd be forking over the money to someone with the proper equipment. Safety first!
Old February 20th, 2008, 7:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also rotate my own tires (just did it last week) using the "X" rotation method. I also have floor jacks, jack stands, air impact tools and torque wrenches to do the job. The sensors were no problem and worked correctly the first time (don't you just love that horn beep when raising the air pressure).
Old February 21st, 2008, 3:44 AM
CF Beginner

Did it myself if your not mechanically inclined then i guess it's the dealer for you.I've never had
any issues with any of my vehicals.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

I do all my own servicing and I and tried it the way it's described in the manual. It doesn't work. There should have been Benny Hill music playing in the background!
Old March 2nd, 2014, 5:40 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gforce65
I do all my own servicing and I and tried it the way it's described in the manual. It doesn't work. There should have been Benny Hill music playing in the background!
Welcome to the forum... there will be a few who know Benny Hill is and many that won't have a clue... careful, you might date yourself...

ARe you getting the horn honk with each wheel? keep in mind the whole process needs to be completed in 5 minutes or less or the system will time out....
Old March 2nd, 2014, 5:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Benny Hill......... LMFAO!! Ol' timer......
Old March 2nd, 2014, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

No horn honks... wonder why.

I bet now I got everyone hearing the music and picturing the running around the truck.

Maybe I was missing the babes too!!
Old March 2nd, 2014, 6:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yo.....I'm just sitting here cracking up. Picturing it....tooooo funny. I'm in tears!!!!

Quick Reply: Do you rotate your own tires?