Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Does No Cat mean Bad EGR can't cause hesitation, idle not smooth?

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2017, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does No Cat mean Bad EGR can't cause hesitation, idle not smooth?

Hello,
my 93 Suburban K1500, 5.7 had the Cat cut out before I bought it about seven years ago. We've chased an occasional idle bump and some hesitation under load, replacing all ignition/electric components, dropping/cleaning the fuel tank, r/p fuel pump, filter, TPS. I had it analyzed and I've been told it's a fuel injection matter, and yes, the TB is in need of cleaning and/or rebuild (the injector pattern appears a bit narrowed, to me). Which brings me to the EGR Valve and Solenoid. My question is: Without a Cat, can the EGR valve--if it is inoperable or malfunctioning--cause any idle roughness or hesitation under load? Would it matter at all if I replaced them? Thank you.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, that mystery is solved. I replaced the EGR valve today and yes, performance has improved, and I'll say more than somewhat. I still have a bit of a stutter occasionally, but not at takeoff, only when I ask for more at speed. Again, it's just a slight stutter, and I'm thinking that might clear itself up over time, after the computer gets used to having an operable EGR valve. I dunno, but I can say unequivocally that the new EGR valve seriously improved performance. Thank you.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 3:05 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Try running a couple of bottles of Techron fuel injection cleaner through it in one tank fill-up.