Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Door latch issue

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2015, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door latch issue

I had a problem where my key in the lock was just spinning, so I couldn't unlock the door from the driver's side. Well, I took the door apart and started digging...found the problem was the retainer clip had come off of the pin that moves the lock piece from the door. Anyways, I got that back on sort of, went to put the door back on...noticed that the handles didn't seem to be moving correctly. They weren't allowing the door to close/open, as I went to close the door to see if the lock was fixed and it just slammed into the pin. Well...I tried screwing with it for a fair amount of time before realizing nothing was lifting the piece that allows the latch that holds the door shut to go back/forth like it is supposed to. I ended up taking the latch out of the door and while manually moving the pieces that the handles move with my hands, nothing happens.

The piece that is on the top of the latch doesn't move out of the way so that the latch itself can open/close, if that makes sense. Did I mess it up? Not sure how I could've since I didn't touch the latch part itself?

What are my options? Truck is my daily but I have another vehicle I can drive in the meantime...but I want it fixed. Hate when something turns into another issue.

Here's a picture to kind of clarify what I mean. The black circled piece is what isn't moving when the door handles are pulled. The red piece is what latches to the door post and keeps it closed - it is being hindered by the non moving black circled post.

Name:  MBajZJ2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  503 Bytes

Last edited by Guitarrasdeamor; January 25th, 2015 at 3:06 PM.
Old January 25th, 2015, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a dumbass.

The door was locked. Lmao. I just had to press the piece at the top.

EDIT: Though my issue is still sort of happening - the lock/unlock isn't getting pulled enough when it unlocks, therefore not fully unlocking and not allowing that piece to move.

Last edited by Guitarrasdeamor; January 25th, 2015 at 6:02 PM.
Old January 29th, 2015, 7:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The electric motors within these actuators is VERY weak. The motors wear out quickly and fail to provide enough torque to move the mechanism from lock to unlock position.

GM is well aware of this issue but has done nothing to this point to recall or otherwise offer any assistance.

We do sell replacment motors and rebuilt entire actuators with our superior high torque motor. We have tested our motors to 35,000 lock/unlock cycles without incident.

You can learn more about our replacement motors for these actuators by visiting this thread :

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/mem...-%2A%2A-68454/

Or by visiting our product page :

2007-2014 GM Door Lock Actuator Repair - Gruven Parts

I have dismantled many of these actuators, so if you have specific questions about them please just ask!

www.GruvenParts.com
Paul@GruvenParts.com
404-556-6663