Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Door Stuck

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2020 | 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default Door Stuck

So I've got an '04 Suburban LT
The front passenger door hasn't been unable to unlock for about a year or two now. The manual lock won't unlock it and neither will the electronic buttons, which means that the door has been stuck closed all this time.
Is there a way that I can get the door open without damaging anything? I know I have to remove the door panel to get to the internals and to check the actuator and other components, but I'm afraid that if I attempt to remove the door panel with the door closed that the door panel will be damaged pretty badly.
I figure that my only other option would be to have someone force it to unlock with a slim jim from the outside.
Any thoughts?
Old July 17th, 2020 | 8:58 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by lobotouchet
So I've got an '04 Suburban LT
The front passenger door hasn't been unable to unlock for about a year or two now. The manual lock won't unlock it and neither will the electronic buttons, which means that the door has been stuck closed all this time. Any thoughts?
Interesting, because same thing happened on my 1988 Suburban while on vacation, but it was the driver's door. So the remainder of the vacation I had to enter through the passenger door, which still was working. On the driver door, even the outside key cylinder wouldn't turn, and I could NOT pull up on the lock release lever either; guessing your 2004 doesn't even have a key cylinder on passenger door.

Anyway, maybe 2 months later, miraculously the inside "unlock" button did work, and I opened the door directly, and then was able to get the door panel off. I WD-40'd the parts inside the door and never had the issue again.

I hope the Slim Jim idea works, may need to visit a locksmith, maybe even AAA.