Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Driving 4x4 in Auto

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2008, 5:35 PM
jsm
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving 4x4 in Auto

The last thing salesman said to me was, "Just drive it in AUTO all the time and forget about it, that's what I do with my demonstrator Trailblazer". Read the manual when got home. Read a number of posts in this forum. Have been driving in 2WD. Sales guy at a GMC dealer should know better. And 2, if driving 2wd reduces wear and tear, then how does this apply to Yukon Denali AWD. If I buy a Denali, am I going to have to worry about increased wear and tear?
Old February 21st, 2008, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Driving 4x4 in Auto

Best advice I received from a Chevy mechanic about 12 years ago, was to put the car in AWD or 4WD whenever it rains. That way the gears will get lubed and worked, and will continue to be trouble free.The 4wd systems run into problems from a lack of use.

I only buy 4X4's that give you the option to drive in 2WD or 4WD. That's why I think Chevy is the best option. All-wheel drive,all-the-time systems tend to burn more fuel and wear out the tires quicker.
Old February 21st, 2008, 7:20 PM
jsm
CF Beginner

I agree with the keep it lubed angle, but AWD must be almost idiot-proof these days don't you think? I'm thinking ala Subaru etc. I'm a GM guy whole-heartedly, but am thinking about a Denali or Escalade next from a quietness and wife-proof standpoint.
Old February 21st, 2008, 7:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD is not the same as 4X4. If you have a 4X4 only put it in autoor 4X4 when the roads necessitate it.

4X4 on dry pavement will wear significantly. There is no need to put it in auto unless you need it. Auto engages the transfer case but the front axles are not engaged. They only engage as the vehicle detects slippage. You will see reduced gas mileage in auto as you are running the transfer case. I guess the salesman's attitude is conpromised as hedoesn't pay for gas or worry about longterm wear.

AWD is designed to be driven in all conditions.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 7:13 AM
jsm
CF Beginner

That sounds reasonable. Thanks. It is my first 4x4 and I don't want to screw it up.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tahoe07

AWD is not the same as 4X4. If you have a 4X4 only put it in autoor 4X4 when the roads necessitate it.

4X4 on dry pavement will wear significantly. There is no need to put it in auto unless you need it. Auto engages the transfer case but the front axles are not engaged. They only engage as the vehicle detects slippage. You will see reduced gas mileage in auto as you are running the transfer case. I guess the salesman's attitude is conpromised as hedoesn't pay for gas or worry about longterm wear.

AWD is designed to be driven in all conditions.
+1

I will add that the AWD system utilizes an open front differential and a completely different transfer case.

There is no need to operate in AUTO in the rain or to "lube the gears", you may want to occasionally engage 4X4 mode just to make sure that it is operating properly.

Unfortunately most salespeople are not a very good resource for automotive information.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
jsm
CF Beginner

Thanks again ZX. You 'The Man' when it comes to answers. Interestingly, I've beenusing the GM website extensively for the past couple of years to research purchases for friends and family, and had to go back and forth on a few e-mails with GM to finally correct an oversight on their website VS the dealer's on screen info. At on point they tried putting me off to the dealer as being 'the source' for answers. I used almost the exact same words to them as you did about the salesman NOT being the best source. I find the GM website to be a good resource most of the time. Having worked selling Pontiac Buick Cadillac and GMC Trucks for a few years in the past, I felt that I knew of what I spoke, and they finally put the effort in to get me the real answer instead of 'See your dealer'.