Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2010, 3:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual exhaust

I went to a local exhaust shop the other day and after they looked at it on the hoist they said there is not enough room. I was not happy about that so I got under the hoist and there is room but it is tight. The guy has done this for 8 years and said it will hit the axle or get to hot being that close to the brake lines or fill neck and vent hose on the gas tank. Anyone eles have a dual exhaust put on a 2000 or newer suburban, tahoe or yukon. I hope I don't have to settle for a single put on. there is not that many shops around that have a pipe bender anymore.
Old May 18th, 2010, 4:08 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

are they able to do duel from the muffler out?
Old May 18th, 2010, 6:05 PM
CF Active Member

no that won't change anything. if I took the spare tire off I might have a chance. But I dont really want to lose my spare. just seeing if anyone did this and how the pipes are ran. and if they have had any heat problems with the stuff on the bottom by the pipe.
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Heat control is the biggest issue, but if the pipe is properly insulated or shielded in the areas of concern, you should be able to pull it off. A good reflective exhaust wrap should do the job.
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Heat control is the biggest issue, but if the pipe is properly insulated or shielded in the areas of concern, you should be able to pull it off. A good reflective exhaust wrap should do the job.
I was thinking about that a little while ago. just not sure what way to go. I guess I am just worried I am pushing my luck a little bit at this point.lol I was hoping that there was a member on here that had done a dual on a coil rear end, or has atleast attemted it.
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Received 161 Likes on 159 Posts

I've seen 'burbs and 'hoes w/ dual exhausts but never looked under to see how it was done.

Might check the availability in the aftermarket. Seems like I've seen them there.

Jet-hot coating will cut the temperature way down.

Last edited by 73shark; May 18th, 2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
CF Active Member

well I called the exhuast shop that I have used in the past for all my trucks and we are going to give it a try. ( it's kinda a far drive) he has done pipe jobs for well over 15 years but has never done one with coils in the rear. so I guess I am going to just try and make it happen. I think I will try and use some heat tape like what they use on headers. I would like to make some heat sheilds but I really dont think there will be any room for any. what is jet-hot coating? can I do it my self? will my parts store have it? about how much will it cost? how well will it work? and will it work any better then heat tape and have you used it in the past?
Old May 19th, 2010, 3:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could take the spare out from under and put it in the bed..that where i have mine at
Old May 19th, 2010, 8:27 PM
Administrator

Received 161 Likes on 159 Posts

Jet-hot: http://www.jet-hot.com/

Header wrap will work but Jet-hot is permanent. I'd definitely put a shield for the spare like the one on the psgr side.

Used it on Corvette 427 manifolds and it made a huge difference in the underhood temp. Used it on 69 Corvette factory side exhausts. If it's put on new mat'l, it's guaranteed for life.

Last edited by 73shark; May 19th, 2010 at 8:29 PM.
Old May 19th, 2010, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

Yah my cousin used that stuff 73shark is talking about on his 69 firebird, it works well.

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust