Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

DUALS

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2008, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DUALS

opinions for duals on a '08'? smoker
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: DUALS

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. Are you talking cat-back or true duals?
Old August 5th, 2008, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the welcome 73Shark. Guess I'm talking about the cat back type. Heard about a couple of guy's put them on pick up trucks and experienced objectionable resonance (sp), at certain speeds. That's why I wanted to get some feed back on the Tahoe before I jumped in. smoker
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

From all of the posts that I've seen, it seems the consensus of opinion is in favor of Magnaflow.
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you.
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM
CF Junior Member

i am sure you already know this, but be sure to reduce the pipe diameter to about 2.5" after the muffler. From what i read on the net...duals do not always help performance and or mileage, but they sure look good. By the way...I am very happy with my Magnaflow.
Old August 8th, 2008, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Big D, what are you driving?
Old August 9th, 2008, 6:44 PM
CF Junior Member

07- 5.3L Flex....K&N filter, Magnaflow (part 12589), resonator cut off, Magnaflow stainless steel oval tip...Nerf bars (removed the stock plasticsteps and put inblack steel tube sidesteps.
Old August 11th, 2008, 6:29 AM
CF Beginner

Big D, can you tell me about the type of muffler you have, is it the loud or quieter type? Do you have good results at all speeds, ie no vibration etc? My wife rides with me often and....I just don't want to hear bitchin about the noise....know what I mean? smoker
Old August 11th, 2008, 9:42 PM
CF Junior Member

i am very pleased with my purchase. no drone, not too loud, but loud enough to let you know a 320HP V-8 is waiting to be called to work. I would recommend the longest muffler magnaflow offers....I have heard flowmasters are too loud plus the fact that most of their mufflers are "aluminized" steel and not stainless steel tells one that magnaflow should lastlonger...My recommendation is the 12589, cut resonator, and put a nice stainless steel tip. I would save my money on cat backs etc...yeah they mention mandrel this and that, but the truth is that aftermarket exhaust (excluding headers etc) are for the most part sound enhancing equipment and should not be considered performance or mileage improvementequipment....Strictly sound.Read on the net and even the magnaflow web site will tell you (FAQ section) that duals are not always best for performance. Try to stay close to the original equipment diameters on the pipes etc....Just put that muffler on, cut the resonator, replace the tip....you should be able to accomplish this with about $225 (max). The guru on this web site is ZX ( a GM engineer)...direct your questions to him...he will point you in the right direction much better than i could.
Big D

Quick Reply: DUALS