Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

DVD/CD/Nav question (2007 Suburban Z71)

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2012, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD/CD/Nav question (2007 Suburban Z71)

Hi, I recently bought a 2007 Z71 Suburban, having previously owned 2001 and 2003 Suburbans and loving them. I think this 07 has every option that was available, but can't say for sure because I'm still waiting on owner's manuals to arrive (had to buy em on eBay).

On my last Suburban, the DVD got inserted directly into the player, in the middle row. However thinking back I believe it was an aftermarket DVD player (also had a screen in the 3rd row). In this 07 the DVD gets inserted into the (factory Bose) nav head unit. My question is, is there no way to play a CD while the kids are watching a DVD?? It sure seems that way, and I am surprised/annoyed if that's the case. I've gotten spoiled by vehicles with 6-CD changers indash, going back to my 01 Escape and 05 Sorento, and I just assumed something as loaded as this Suburban would also have that....

Another question sort of along the same lines - the truck didn't include the factory navigation map disc, so that's another thing I have coming from eBay. Once I have that, does it only work with the map disc physically in the slot? Or will the system "remember" the map info once I take the disc out? If not then you couldn't play DVDs or CDs while using the nav system, and surely they wouldn't design it that way...?

Thanks for any help!
Old August 21st, 2012, 8:27 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DVDs

On this vehicle you can not listen to a CD while the critters watch a DVD.

Welcome to GM "tech" any 7 year old with an ipod is more advanced.

The MAP DVD goes BEHIND the display, you will go to the menu, then nav, then change map area (or similar, this is from memory) to rotate the display and expose the MAP DVD slot.

ONLY the MAP DVD can go in there.

The top slot is for DVD or CD.

Get XM, it's great, and I own 2,000 shares... so ya know... buy a few
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MiataRacer
Hi, I recently bought a 2007 Z71 Suburban, having previously owned 2001 and 2003 Suburbans and loving them. I think this 07 has every option that was available, but can't say for sure because I'm still waiting on owner's manuals to arrive (had to buy em on eBay).

On my last Suburban, the DVD got inserted directly into the player, in the middle row. However thinking back I believe it was an aftermarket DVD player (also had a screen in the 3rd row). In this 07 the DVD gets inserted into the (factory Bose) nav head unit. My question is, is there no way to play a CD while the kids are watching a DVD?? It sure seems that way, and I am surprised/annoyed if that's the case. I've gotten spoiled by vehicles with 6-CD changers indash, going back to my 01 Escape and 05 Sorento, and I just assumed something as loaded as this Suburban would also have that....

Another question sort of along the same lines - the truck didn't include the factory navigation map disc, so that's another thing I have coming from eBay. Once I have that, does it only work with the map disc physically in the slot? Or will the system "remember" the map info once I take the disc out? If not then you couldn't play DVDs or CDs while using the nav system, and surely they wouldn't design it that way...?

Thanks for any help!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> SabrToothSqrl is correct in his description of how the system works. For your reference, a digital copy of the owner's manual is available it: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...t-Suburban.pdf. Additional information regarding the Rear Entertainment System (RES) is available on pages 331 through 344.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 22nd, 2012, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.....I figured out that it motors open this morning actually ......however the motor wouldn't suck the map disc in. Is there some trick to it?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 7:42 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Be sure there's not a disc already in the Nav slot. If not, then it should accept the disc just like the CD/DVD slot up above.