Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

E3 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E3 spark plugs

I recently replaced the OEM spark plugs replaced on our 2009 Tahoe,( 5.3 with 100K miles), with a set of E3 plugs. Shortly after, the check engine light came on. I took the vehicle to out local GM dealer who read the code and turned the light off. Now, the light has come back on. I understand that the new plugs could be burning more efficiently than the OEM units and as a consequence, the exhaust emissions are now falling outside of the factory parameters.
Does this idea make any sense? Ideas??
Old March 3rd, 2017, 5:05 PM
Administrator

Received 159 Likes on 157 Posts

Trash the E3s and put the proper AC Delco plugs in.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 5:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Gimmick. Go back to OEM plugs.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Try Iridium

Obviously you want a good set of pugs in your car so OEM is not good enough. I feel the same way. A few years ago I tried E3's in my Nissan 200sx and after about three months it would not start so I had the car towed to a shop who told me I needed new plugs. to add insult to injury he wanted $150 to do the job. So I went out and bought some basic Bosch Platinum plugs and away I went for about $25. I will never recommend E3's, but there are a lot of choices out there for about the same price, Platinum, Iridium both of which will burn just as clean and efficient as E3's some will work better. At the end of the day though, your cars computer will adjust the ignition to stay within a factory set range, so unless you can adjust the computer your stuck with what the factory says that engine should have. This goes the same for if you buy a K&N type air filter, you just wont see any gains until you adjust the computers parameters outside of the OEM set up. Unless your going to go full bore its not worth voiding your warranty over, so save your money.
Old March 5th, 2017, 7:55 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

For sure stick with the with the OEM plugs, anything else is a gimmick... If a spark plug could really make that much of a difference, the auto manufactures would already be all over that tech...