Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Elec motor noise under dash

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2012, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default behind dash noise too

I have the same problem of noise behind or under my dash. I took it by the dealer, and the service man suggested it was my instrument cluster. So, I removed it, and it still makes the sound.
I forwarded my video to a friend who is a Chevy mechanic, and he has never heard it before.
Any suggestions? it is driving me crazy!!!!
Old October 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

cooling fans...that new to me also; i have opened the internals of many radios, bcm's, pcm's and none have ever had cooling fans.

have the blend door steppers motors lost their calibration? Most models will briefly cycle the motors every time the key is turned on when the limits points are lost.

Last edited by tech2; October 13th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old November 25th, 2020, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dash

Originally Posted by Roccodawg
Hello all...new to this forum, but have found useful tips here in the past and hope I'm not duplicating a thread. My problem is that I have a continuous electrical motor of some sort (cooling?) coming from under the dash on driver's side. It's definately not in the area of the stereo....I can't pinpoint it exactly, but sticking my fat head down there, it sounds like it's coming from under the dash, somewhere above teh steering wheel column and below the instrument panel. Any thoughts? I'm familiar with the failing stepper motors as I've already replaced 2 of them in other '05 Chevy models and they never made that sort of noise...guages just failed. Thanks in advance.
Just had this same problem on my 2015 suburban.. It ended up being the wiper motor.
Old January 10th, 2021, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default I know what your talking about, but I dont know what its for.

Hello all...new to this forum, but have found useful tips here in the past and hope I'm not duplicating a thread. My problem is that I have a continuous electrical motor of some sort (cooling?) coming from under the dash on driver's side. It's definately not in the area of the stereo....I can't pinpoint it exactly, but sticking my fat head down there, it sounds like it's coming from under the dash, somewhere above teh steering wheel column and below the instrument panel. Any thoughts? I'm familiar with the failing stepper motors as I've already replaced 2 of them in other '05 Chevy models and they never made that sort of noise...guages just failed. Thanks in advance.
I pulled the plastic off and it is approx. 1 inch by 2.5 inch little motor with a fan in it. I have no navigation. There are a couple of wires coming out of the back of it and it's not attached to anything else. It's hard to get to with the small hole in the plastic so I can't see if there is anything written in it. Kinda annoying little thing, wish I knew what it was for or if it detached from somewhere. Sorry I dont have an answer.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Above the gas pedal

So I believe I have the same issue and I can tell you only this....the sound is coming from a plug above the gas pedal on mine. When I wiggle the plug just right it stops the sound but it always starts again as soon as I start bouncing around on my rough roads....hope this helps cause I would like to fix this problem so I dont have to blare my radio in order to not hear it!!
Old December 25th, 2021, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default 10 years later

Experiencing the same thing, electronic motor noise directly behind the cluster. Mine stops as soon as I turn off the hvac system. Did you ever solve your problem?
Old December 25th, 2021, 4:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

if you have auto hvac its a fan the samples cabin air temp
Old February 17th, 2022, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Im having the same issue in my 95 suburban k1500.
Old November 10th, 2022, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Found the buzzing

I had the buzzing my steering wheel. Started randomly. Went out to.my car and even had issues starting it. Battery was showing 14 Amps but it wouldn't even crank. After jumping it it was fine but the buzzing was there still. I tried to think if anything was different because it sounded like it was a Fuze, but I'd already checked. Then I remembered I had plugged a power cord for a phone into the 110v outlet in the passenger row. Earlier that morning my phone told me it had detected moisture in my phone charge port which I thought was odd. But upon remembering it, I unplugged the charger from the 110v and the buzzing stopped
Old November 10th, 2022, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Found the buzzing

I had the buzzing my steering wheel. Started randomly. Went out to.my car and even had issues starting it. Battery was showing 14 Amps but it wouldn't even crank. After jumping it it was fine but the buzzing was there still. I tried to think if anything was different because it sounded like it was a Fuze, but I'd already checked. Then I remembered I had plugged a power cord for a phone into the 110v outlet in the passenger row. Earlier that morning my phone told me it had detected moisture in my phone charge port which I thought was odd. But upon remembering it, I unplugged the charger from the 110v and the buzzing stopped

Quick Reply: Elec motor noise under dash