Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

emission light, speedometer on 03 suburban

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2007, 2:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emission light, speedometer on 03 suburban

Hi, I have a 03 suburban, the emission light was on and the speedometerwas not working. My mechanic replaced the bank 1 sensor 2 and the speed sensor, this worked for about twenty miles. I returned and he replaced the 02 sensor with a oem one, but that did not work either. the light came right back on. The speedometer works sometimes on the initial start and go, but after about 30 miles there is nothing or it is way off. Last week while driving none of the dash lights worked, with the exception of theemission light. Not sure if it is related but the gas guageindicates that I getabout 300 miles on the first half but the second half goes very quickly, very quickly. Ran out twice. Please help!!

Old May 13th, 2007, 2:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: emission light, speedometer on 03 suburban

I have an 03 yukon XL, same as Suburban, and I my gauges do the same. The dealers solution was to replace gauge cluster and everything else that seems to be malfuntioning,without even trying to fixing anything (over $2000 atleast).
Within 3 years
1-air conditioner had to be replaced ( 5000 miles after warr. I paid @ dealer) 12 month warr. given but 13th month started making noise- still working for now though
2- I have had to replace running light bulbs about 4-5 times(not fixed yet)
3- my CD player gets too hot after 1 song and starts song again(not fixed yet)
4-gauges fall and bounce- shows full or dead -if I semi start several times or remove batt cable it goes to normal for awhile
I found gauge cluster repair services on ebay but haven't tried them yet. I believe that there is a short some where and am ordering the factory shop manuals ( not Chillton) on ebay to try and trouble shoot myself. We have saved alot by using them on our 95 Impala. At this point this may be the only alternative to replacing everything at the dealers.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, from what I have read,, it might be the stepper motors. The dealer here in NY will replace the cluster for $250. I am going to try that at the end of the week. If you find out anything else please let me know. I will let you know if it works. Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

I also replaced the day time running light bulbs, but the lights still didn't work. I noticed that the one which didn't work was missing a connector inside of the plug, it must have come out when I pulled one of the bulbs. I replaced the plug and havn't had any more problems. I think it was around $25.