Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Engine Conversion

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2008, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Conversion

I have a 1995 GMC Yukon Z71 with about 200k on the clock. Because of some leaking issues and a desire for more power, I would like to drop in another engine set-up. What are my choices in doing this? I would like to go fuel injection versus carborated. Can I integrate in a GM Performace ZZ4 or a Ram Jet 350/502, or am I limited to a stock engine replacement. While I have some decent mechanical skills, I do not think I want to get into a bunch of rewiring.

Any help that y'all could provide would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob[/align]
Old May 4th, 2008, 9:55 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts
Default RE: Engine Conversion

Welcome to the Tahoe forum.

Can't help much with engine selections that w/ fit but be aware that if you upgrade power a bunch, you will find the weakest component(s) [] especially w/ 200K on the clock. Probably some folks here that can help you.
Old May 5th, 2008, 8:42 PM
CF Active Member

Anything is possible. However, it would take more than decent mechanical skills and electrical know-how to get anything like a ram jet to work properly with its required computer. Stick with yourOEM crate engine replacement.
Old May 7th, 2008, 9:10 AM
CF Junior Member

There are lots of possibilities that you can consider and keep it easy. If you want to go to full blown fuel injection that willtake more work.

There are 383s and 350s in various power and torqueranges available for your truck. I am currently installing a 383 in my '96.

As previously mentioned, don't forget to replace/upgrade other powertrain components if you are going to put more power under the hood.

Good luck and have fun.