Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2015, 11:05 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine swap?

I recently posted a thread regarding a failed #4 hydraulic lifter and compression loss of the #4 cylinder. My 2008 Suburban has the 5.3 Liter engine VIN 3 ( LC9 option ) with just under 270,000 miles. I have religiously did oil and filter changes on it since day one. During it use, I have had the oil pump, timing chain and gears set, oil pan baffle, and a pair of new lifters replaced on #6 cylinder. Also had the oil screen cleaned out a few times when oil pressure seemed to be dropping at an idle. With the amount of miles it has on it, I am not so sure I want to put the time into just replacing all the lifters should the cam be undamaged. So, I am keeping my sights on finding a low mileage engine I can swap out with what I have. It is of the Flex-fuel type. Anyone on this forum that may have one, I may be interested if the cost are reasonable. Thanks for reading.
Old January 12th, 2016, 10:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New replacement 5.3 Liter LC9 version (AFM) for 2008 Suburban

I have been searching around on the internet for a new engine for my Suburban. I have found several sites that offer rebuilt/refurbished engines for my vehicle. I have even tried purchasing one from GM SPO center in my area. They informed me that they don't include them as what they sell to their employees and referred me to buy one from a dealership. Does anyone know if the ones the dealerships sell are new never used or if they too are rebuilds? The going price has been between $3200 and $5000 not including a core return. Thanks for your responses ahead of time.
Old January 13th, 2016, 10:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love diesel motors, and have plans that when the time comes and my 07 Tahoe needs engine replacement, assuming I have the money to do this, I will give "Duraburb" a call in Florida. They swap Duramax engines into our Tahoes and Suburban, but only for certain vehicle model years, starting with 2007. Check out their youtube channel, from those vids alone I am sold on their work. I spoke with the owner on the phone a few years ago, and he seems great to deal with, and totally knows his stuff. I am no way affiliated with Duraburb, I'm just throwing another option out there for you. Good luck!
Old January 15th, 2016, 7:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

What do they charge to swap that in?
Old January 15th, 2016, 1:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogi
I have been searching around on the internet for a new engine for my Suburban. I have found several sites that offer rebuilt/refurbished engines for my vehicle. I have even tried purchasing one from GM SPO center in my area. They informed me that they don't include them as what they sell to their employees and referred me to buy one from a dealership. Does anyone know if the ones the dealerships sell are new never used or if they too are rebuilds? The going price has been between $3200 and $5000 not including a core return. Thanks for your responses ahead of time.

they usually have the option whether you want a remanufactured or new, in most cases I would go with new if you can.

Not saying its always the case but I've had a string of bad luck with GM rebuilt engines recently....they don't offer the 1 I need new anymore so we had to go reman which normally isn't an issue but I've gotten 2 in a row now that were junk.
Old January 15th, 2016, 4:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
What do they charge to swap that in?
I can't remember....it was a while ago when I last spoke with the owner. But you can have them do performance upgrades to the Duramax engine among other things non-engine related, like suspension mods etc. For the basic, I wanna say 7k-9k, which includes the duramax engine, but don't hold me to that.

Last edited by Typerod; January 15th, 2016 at 4:30 PM.
Old January 16th, 2016, 9:28 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Yogi
Try looking at some of the pull-out engines from some of the recyclers on the net, there are plenty of 5.3's out there and most hot rodders don't want them. Now, if you want to up the performance on you sub try looking for a pull out 6.2 out of an Escallade or Yukon. It will drop right in place of the 5.3 and only need some tweaks to you ecm.

Just some ideas.
Old January 17th, 2016, 7:01 AM
CF Active Member

Will the 6.2 mate to the 4 speed tranny?
Old January 17th, 2016, 5:57 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by 08 burb fan
Will the 6.2 mate to the 4 speed tranny?
Yes it will. Like I said, you will have to have your ecm remapped as well.
Old January 18th, 2016, 5:24 AM
CF Active Member

A tune I already have planed with Blackbear. That is a great option.