Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ethanol Again...

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2016, 7:34 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ethanol Again...

Silly EPA....

EPA Just Declared War On Millions Of Car Owners | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD
Old May 25th, 2016, 8:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all about being green but the sad thing is the people making all these decisions and laws never look at the big picture. Hybrids may get better mileage but cost a lot more to repair and increase the battery production and waste exponentially, diesel exhaust fluid is one of the nastiest fluids I've had to encounter and from what I've heard is now being studied for being counterproductive. Ethanol is a train I never have and never will get on, you generally get lower mileage with it and have to increase maintenance to benefit at all so wheres the benefit?
Old May 25th, 2016, 8:06 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The benefit is corn sales and votes. Although that's not much of a benefit to our wallets or the planet...
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:06 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I had a gas station near me that still sells pure gasoline. I have the "pure gas" app that shows you places that still sell pure gas.
Old May 25th, 2016, 3:58 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

For everyday driving I think the blended fuels are acceptable. However if you have access to it, I highly recommend it when towing. The short time I had access to 100% gas when towing our pop-up it made a world of difference when dipping into the throttle! So much so, I had no qualms about passing another vehicle while going uphill with a semi closing in behind me, all the while pulling an extra 2000 lb pop up camper
Old May 25th, 2016, 9:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Typerod
I wish I had a gas station near me that still sells pure gasoline. I have the "pure gas" app that shows you places that still sell pure gas.
the pumps on certain stations in Canada say premium is ethanol free. I have not done any wet chemistry to confirm this so don't hold me to that.
Old May 26th, 2016, 7:52 AM
CF Veteran

I think in MOST cases anything above 87 octane is supposed to be ethanol free, but whats on the sticker and whats in the tank may not be the same.
Old May 26th, 2016, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Gaso...10826-315.aspx and The Blend Valve - How Gas Pumps Work | HowStuffWorks

If you're near an ethanol plant, it's possible there is an ethanol tank, but in most areas that is unlikely, due to ethanol's habit of collecting water. So the only way a station would have both gas with ethanol and gas without would be to have the high (or low) octane tank be no ethanol. Since ethanol is used in part to raise the octane, it would seem much more likely that the lower octane fuel would be ethanol free...

And since I'm replying, don't blame EPA for this, Congress passed a law. EPA is just complying with it the same way all of us comply with speed limits, license fees, etc. If you feel this is such a travesty or miscarriage of justice, write your congressperson and senator and ask them to do their job and pass reforms...