Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

extreme grinding noise (not breaks) video included

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2018, 6:02 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extreme grinding noise (not breaks) video included

So, I am driving my 96 Tahoe when I slowly back into a boulder on my passenger side (did not hit it very hard) Definitely scraped my tailpipe but no other noticeable damage was visible. Immediately afterward a terrible noise started coming from the underside of the vehicle. It’s pretty hard to tell where the sound is coming from, but I think it sounds like the front end when I sit in the drivers seat but when observing from the outside of the vehicle, my friend said he thought it was coming from the back end..
The noise is only noticeable when I accelerate while in gear. When accelerating up hills, the sound becomes extremely loud but I can lightly accelerate down hills and flat areas without hearing much. The only exception to this is if I hit a bump or take a hard turn while coasting, the same noise can be heard sporadically.
I took it to a shop where a mechanic drove around the parking lot and did a quick look around and checked the brakes which he said seemed to be doing fine, but I don’t think he really had the chance to accelerate hard enough to fully hear what was going on. I told him I had been warned by the previous owner that the u joint was nearing the end of its life, which the mechanic and I kind of concluded was the problem. I’m still very unsure of this diagnosis because the mechanic didn’t seem very confident with that conclusion, and he only charged me $10 for the diagnosis which further weakens my trust in his conclusion. Besides the u-joint being close to death, other preexisting symptoms include an extreme oil leak, loose steering, front end squeaking on bumps, and occasional engine knock when accelerating cold engine. Any ideas on what else to check before taking it to another mechanic will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 1st, 2020, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed yet?

Originally Posted by Ian Sullivan
Video Link
So, I am driving my 96 Tahoe when I slowly back into a boulder on my passenger side (did not hit it very hard) Definitely scraped my tailpipe but no other noticeable damage was visible. Immediately afterward a terrible noise started coming from the underside of the vehicle. It’s pretty hard to tell where the sound is coming from, but I think it sounds like the front end when I sit in the drivers seat but when observing from the outside of the vehicle, my friend said he thought it was coming from the back end..
The noise is only noticeable when I accelerate while in gear. When accelerating up hills, the sound becomes extremely loud but I can lightly accelerate down hills and flat areas without hearing much. The only exception to this is if I hit a bump or take a hard turn while coasting, the same noise can be heard sporadically.
I took it to a shop where a mechanic drove around the parking lot and did a quick look around and checked the brakes which he said seemed to be doing fine, but I don’t think he really had the chance to accelerate hard enough to fully hear what was going on. I told him I had been warned by the previous owner that the u joint was nearing the end of its life, which the mechanic and I kind of concluded was the problem. I’m still very unsure of this diagnosis because the mechanic didn’t seem very confident with that conclusion, and he only charged me $10 for the diagnosis which further weakens my trust in his conclusion. Besides the u-joint being close to death, other preexisting symptoms include an extreme oil leak, loose steering, front end squeaking on bumps, and occasional engine knock when accelerating cold engine. Any ideas on what else to check before taking it to another mechanic will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Video link
I have an 05 Tahoe that’s making the exact same sound. It started about a week ago or so. My wife couldn’t hear me driving by but I can hear it plain as day inside the Tahoe. Were you able to figure out what it was? I was thinking either the wheel/hub bearings, differential, or front driveshaft issues but if you were able
to figure it out I’d really love know what it was. Thanks!
Old July 2nd, 2020, 7:06 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Since the noise started after backing into a boulder and hitting the tailpipe, i would examine the exhaust system. it could have moved too close to something and hitting. It could have also damaged or broken a hanger or something else. that would be the place to start looking. The other issues are still there and need to be addressed.