Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

factory matching paint

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: factory matching paint

Tahoe07,

I got the stock bowtie painted. I took pictures of the tahoe with the billet grille bowtie, and the newly painted white bowtie. I am not sure how I like it. THe billet looked good, however it doesnt have the shine as the rest of the surrounding parts are chrome. It looked a bit strange. What do you guys think?

[IMG]local://upfiles/3431/721FEAAEEB714B33AF69E5778B81E3C0.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:32 AM
CF Addict

Here are the pictures with the white bowtie.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3431/7D6A0F0EEDDB4044B9C8D8C108FD2B1A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3431/AD2497434700460FA697A6C3350481DA.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Landon:

I like the billett myself, where did you get it? Was it tough to put on? Did you see the guy from Texas's front emblem? That was tight!

Jason
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:31 PM
CF Addict

ORIGINAL: jasonw75

Landon:

I like the billett myself, where did you get it? Was it tough to put on? Did you see the guy from Texas's front emblem? That was tight!

Jason
I got the billet off the internet. However, they are very weird how they install. The billet one has predrilled holes in the back of it. You screw the bolt into the back of it. However if you try to tighten it very tight it strips it out. SO I JB Welded it. Works like a champ, should have come from the factory that way! I emailed to talk to them about it and they didnt have much to say!

I like the billet too. However it the billet (aluminum) look. Not the shiny chrome. I would probably sell it to you if you want it. It has only been on the tahoe for about 200 miles.
Old November 12th, 2006, 3:47 PM
CF Veteran

I like it. White is tuff. It doesn't stand out against the chrome edge. Darker colors contrast much better. I still prefer the painted to the chrome.

Nice work. I guess you changed your mind again. What did you do about getting paint?
Old November 12th, 2006, 4:32 PM
CF Addict

I went to Wally world. I already had some adhesion promotor from when I completly dyed/painted my entire mustangs interior!

So I had the promotor which works as a primer, I wasnt sure on paint. The Krylon Plastics wasnt white enough. So I ended up just buying one of the small cans of auto spray paint by Dupli-Color! It worked great. Just spray very very very very light coats, about 15-30 minutes in between coats. Then I also purchased a top clear coat can from Walmart, same brand and a small can.

It turned out better than I expected. Just make sure you take you time and use very small thin coats.

I am actually painting the black trim now! I wish I would of to begin with. Hopefully it turns out as good.
Old November 12th, 2006, 7:27 PM
CF Addict

Hey guys, look at my grille. See how the top section and the bottom above the bowtie has a cutout on the bottom bar, almost like it is supposed to go around the emblem.

However, it doesnt need to be cut out. The way it is designed to fit it could go straight across. Does anyone know of a grille that is made with the bottom bar straight across? I hate how it has the little hole cutout.
Old November 12th, 2006, 7:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good colormatched, btw is that a dent on your hood...[sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old November 12th, 2006, 7:31 PM
CF Addict

Not funny, . However, when I installed the new bowtie I noticed some dents on the bottom part of the hood, very very very small but they are there too. DOnt know what to do, the hood has been closed just like the TSB says. Maybe my hood is just harder than most to shut, dont know and am not going to worry about it.
Old November 12th, 2006, 8:13 PM
CF Veteran

entire upper looks like it is arched up and not down to match the contour of grille opening. If it matched along the bottom edge all across grille opening it may be closer to needing cut

Quick Reply: factory matching paint