Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Factory Rear Ent. to Avic-Z2

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Rear Ent. to Avic-Z2

Hey everyone,

I thought I read here someplace that somebody hooked up their factory rear overhead screen to thier aftermarket head unit but I can't seem to find the thread. Can anyone lead me in the correct direction to accomplish this task? I'm getting ready to install a Pioneer Avic-z2 in an 07 Tahoe and I need to hook up the factory RSE to it. I know I'm going to need to splice in some RCA's for the audio and video signals and possible send a power signal to the DVD screen too. Can anyone tell me which wires from Connector C3 I'll need to use and possibly let me in on any tips I need to know.

Thanks in advance!
Old March 4th, 2008, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Factory Rear Ent. to Avic-Z2

I was told it was not possible due to the fact GM uses modular plugs rather than RCA's. But it wouldn't be the first time someone told me something that was incorrect.
Old March 4th, 2008, 2:54 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Peripheral electronics makes a interface to retain factory RSE when replacing the factory head unit. GMLRSE. Only kicker is that it is designed to be used with their interface module for retaining Onstar chimes and such......
Old March 4th, 2008, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: e

Peripheral electronics makes a interface to retain factory RSE when replacing the factory head unit. GMLRSE. Only kicker is that it is designed to be used with their interface module for retaining Onstar chimes and such......
Sweet!! The only Tahoe that met my specs had a RSE which I thought was useless to me. Thanks for the info.

Are you also saying there is an issue with periperhal's interface module for retaining onstar and chimes?
Old March 4th, 2008, 5:50 PM
e
CF Senior Member

No there is no issue. In order to keep the factory IR and full operation of the factory screen you will need both modules together. I am not sure if you would use another compaines interface for the radio intergration if the GMLRSE would work correctly. We only use the Periperhal pieces. sorry for the confusion
Old March 4th, 2008, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: e

No there is no issue. In order to keep the factory IR and full operation of the factory screen you will need both modules together. I am not sure if you would use another compaines interface for the radio intergration if the GMLRSE would work correctly. We only use the Periperhal pieces. sorry for the confusion
If my desire is to replace the entire system with aftermarket HU/amps/sub/components, etc, should I still be able to retain the onstar and chime features?

The reason I ask is that I did the same thing in a 2005 GMC Sierra. The install shop ended up having to install a separate speaker for the onstar and the door chime. It works, but you can BARELY hear it.

I'd like to install an Avic Z2 and I'm stoked I can use the RSE with the Z2. Will save me some cash buying new monitors.