Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Failed fuel pumps (3)

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2015, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed fuel pumps (3)

I am having repeated fuel pump failures in the central tank on my 2012 2500 Suburban 4 X 4. Vin No. 1GNWKLEG8CR136721. The first pump change was at the end of last May. 4000 miles later last weekend it failed to start. I activated auto start while tapping the gas tank with a hammer, it starts. This past Friday morning wanting to go to work, it fails to start. No amount of hammer motivation would make it start. Get it towed to the dealer, they drop the central tank again. This time they find the harness pig tail connector and the electrical connector on the fuel pump module..in their words "burned up". They install pump number 3, install a repair kit on the harness. It did not pop the fuel pump fuse in the electrical distrubution box under the hood. I don't like the idea of an electrical fire starting on top of a plastic gas tank. I had the pump in the aft tank replaced last June because I didn't want to any other fuel supply problems. My questions are is this a comon problem with this truck and if so, is there a solution for it. Current milage on this unit is 47,000 miles. Thank you for your help.
Old October 11th, 2015, 7:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

Have I seen a bad pump created high current draw and blow fuses, yes( does it have a fuse or is it powered by a fuelpump control module.

Have I seen bad pin fit t connectors cause melted connectors yes.

what they are saying all fits for cause and effect...but it is not a common problem for this vehicle.
Old October 13th, 2015, 5:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are they changing filter to when the put new pump in
Old October 13th, 2015, 7:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

filter...should part of the pump assembly as its a return less fuel system . they also should be inspecting the inside of the tank for debris.
Old October 16th, 2015, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no inline filter on this truck. It is done at the filter on the fuel pump module. The drawback to this setup is no filter between the pump motor and the injector screens. Any debris generated by the pump motor ends up there. I asked the dealer to inspect the tank while they had it down to make sure nothing was in there beating the module. This concern is from the collision it was in last year. Right now I just it dosen't leave us stranded again. Thank you for your ideas.