Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

first post - Pinion arm removal

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2015, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first post - Pinion arm removal

Hello all, so recently my 05' Sub decided to blow a seal on its steering gearbox. i have purchased a seal kit and am trying to install it, and i cannot get the pinion arm off the steering rack. (sorry if my terminology is wrong, im mostly work on BMW's) anyway, i have purchased and returned 4 different pinion arm pulling kit, and they all seem to have the same problem. they will not grab the rack right above the pinion arm. the rubber bushing keeps getting in the way and prevents the tool from grabbing. i do not want to take a knife and destroy the bushing trying to get this thing off of there. My question, is there a specific tool used specifically for these cars, or is my technique wrong? any help is appreciated, i hope to get this thing back on the road asap, thanks!
Old January 1st, 2016, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

you have to push the rubber sleeve up, do you have the gearbox off the vehicle? Book says to remove it and then take the arm off but you can do it in the vehicle if you turn the gearbox to the side a bit. I rarely have to use anything other than the $20 generic puller I got from napa
Old January 2nd, 2016, 4:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

never thought of turning it sideways....great time saver.

once the seal is off...have a close look at the sector shaft where the seal sits. when I lived in the rust belt; sometimes the new seal couldn't seal the old shaft. the seal is worth a shot considering the price of a new steering box.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

I got it off- thing was rusted in place. It finally came off though. The old box was toast... Time for a new one
Old January 3rd, 2016, 1:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tech2
never thought of turning it sideways....great time saver.

once the seal is off...have a close look at the sector shaft where the seal sits. when I lived in the rust belt; sometimes the new seal couldn't seal the old shaft. the seal is worth a shot considering the price of a new steering box.
The only time I take the gearbox out is if its a diesel, otherwise just take the 3 bolts off the frame and turn/angle it enough to slip the puller on. Easy money maker