Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

First problem with Tahoe, but nothing can be done, yet!

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2009, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First problem with Tahoe, but nothing can be done, yet!

So about a month ago I had my first problem with my truck.

2008 Tahoe 3LT 4x4 purchased in Sept 2008 with 5 miles on it. Currently ~5200 miles

The Issue: It was a clear day with an outside temp in the low 40's. I was pulling into a 8 story parking garage and made my first right turn. All of a sudden my truck stopped dead in its tracks. I gave it a little gas and it almost sounded like my right rear tire was dragging and the turning in the front felt like 4x4 was engaged. So I checked the 4x4 **** and it was in 2wd. I made the turn (was forced to as cars were behind me) and 40 feet later I have to make another right turn. Same issue, sounds like dragging rubber in the rear and can't turn normally.

I was forced to keep going forward because the line behind me was getting huge as I was trying to go slow. When I was in a straight area I did try to put it in 4x4 auto, 4x4 hi and lo, but it did not solve anything. So after about 10 right turns I found a spot to turn in (felt like eternity) and as I was pulling into the spot I heard this loud bang in the rear, identical to 4x4 low engaging, and everything was normal again.

I didn't bring it to the dealer as I felt they won't do anything because there is no service engine light and the problem is not there and has never returned. Other than me describing it, nothing for them to look at.

So this has been on my mind for over a month now and I totally forgot about this forum.

Any ideas?
Old May 18th, 2009, 8:30 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rear

you said the noise was from the rear? I'm more skilled with Jeeps than GM, but the Tahoe has a rear locker, but I have no idea how it works... sometimes when lockers 'unload' and become an open diff there can be a noise from the rear, and the vehicle will feel like its being pushed and not turning as tight as it should...

just an idea! i'm not familiar with the GM locker... only the wrangler one and after market ones... ARB/OX/NoSlip/etc...
Old May 18th, 2009, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
and the vehicle will feel like its being pushed and not turning as tight as it should...
Yes! It for sure felt like it was trying hard to move and would not turn well at all.
Old May 18th, 2009, 9:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a broken spider gear in your rear end. I would take it to the dealer!!!
Old May 18th, 2009, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
You have a broken spider gear in your rear end. I would take it to the dealer!!!
I feel like such an A$$ right now. GM goes bankrupt June 1st and I bet no dealer will take my truck for repair. I had a gut feeling I should have got the sequoia.
Old May 19th, 2009, 9:32 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The company will continue to operate even if in bankruptcy. Besides the Great One already said that he'll honor the warranty. Take it in and get it fixed.
Old May 19th, 2009, 8:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the spider gear was broken the problem would have never gone away.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

I too have more knowledge about jeep rear ends an lockers, but it may be an issue that the limited slip additive was not properly added at the factory. In my '06 4x4 Silverado, I had some serious dragging of the rear tires while navigating a parking garage. I changed the diff fluid and added the GM additive and the problem was resolved.
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rippin
I too have more knowledge about jeep rear ends an lockers, but it may be an issue that the limited slip additive was not properly added at the factory. In my '06 4x4 Silverado, I had some serious dragging of the rear tires while navigating a parking garage. I changed the diff fluid and added the GM additive and the problem was resolved.
I hope this was my issue. I have an appointment with the dealer next week to check it out.

I'll let you all know what come of it.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

I just got back from the dealer. As I suspected they could not find anything wrong. They took it for a drive and checked fluid levels.

I guess I just need to cross my fingers and hope nothing serious is wrong.

Quick Reply: First problem with Tahoe, but nothing can be done, yet!