Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

First Suburban: Someone Tell Me I Can Calm Down

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2013, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Suburban: Someone Tell Me I Can Calm Down

So I bought my first Suburban a few days ago after owning a 2000 GMC Yukon for 5 years. I needed something to replace the GMC which was starting to nickel and dime me to death. I saw my burb at a local dealership and I said I have to have it, the price was right, under 100K, had a great experience with my 2000 GMC. I went in, traded in the Yukon and drove off the lot in my new used burb. Then, logically, after the ink was on paper, I researched my burb, my "2007" burb . Excessive Oil consumption reports for the 07 Suburbans. Tons of reports from angry and frustrated owners. All I can think about is that I have gotten saddled with this beautiful POS and I am worrying myself sick as I tend to do about things.

Am I worrying about nothing? All I can picture are thousands or tens of thousands of 07 burbs, burning oil like crazy, engine failures, etc....

If you own this SUV and have had an okay to great experience and are still running strong at 80+K miles, let me know. I'm on the edge of my seat here.

Some issues I have found already:
  • Passenger side door hinge roller pin worn out
  • Driver side running board damaged/cracked outer edge
  • Weather seal rear passenger side door damaged
  • Rear window switches do not allow windows to be put up
  • Driver door window controls lockout does not work
  • Service Stabilitrak / Service Traction Control System OBD Codes C0455 & C0196 (Less than 2 days in driving) getting frustrated

Last edited by Mah1stBurb; June 24th, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 7:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What level?

My LTZ has had tons of problems since 96K. Im at 125K and the left rear window switch is starting to act up.

Many know that I have a list of things that I've replaced on my burb.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 7:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Im lucky for now. I have the bad lifter tick from the AFM lifters but my 5.3 still runs great and AFM still works. Been like this since 96K. Most people have their motor running like crap when this happens. Just sounds really bad/noisy above 3k rpm.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Its an LT. I'm thinking about trading it in on a 2009 2500 LS, not as flashy but I think I'd have peace of mind, and that's worth a little extra money and no leather and faux wood? I think its faux
Old June 23rd, 2013, 7:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot of people on here who love their 07 and newer Suburban's. I opted to go with a 2500 to stay away from the 5.3 with afm as I know some one who had the engine replaced at 96,000 miles on GMs dime. I currently have a 2011 2500 LT with the bells and whistles and love it tons of power for towing. Had bought it with 18,000 miles and currently have 31,000 miles. Great truck.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 9:42 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a lot of the problems are minor, and an easy fix. for the fuel consumption i read that replacing the pcv valve is the fix. so i woudn't worry myself sick about it. i wouldn't go running trading it in on a hunch either. feel it out a bit and if it gets too overwhelming then go trade
Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
CF Senior Member

ok, since 96k i have had these tings go wrong:

new air compressor
new rear Bilstein shocks
battery went rather quickly
starter went open circuit
rear lift gate latch
summer 2011:
front left wheel bearing
front left axle shaft
3 new front rotors
3 new front calipers
3 sets of Wagner thermo quiets
(back to long list)
u-joints
master window control in drivers door
needs new AFM lifters (developed tick at 96k)
all but 2 of the outlets are dead
Rear window switches are starting to act up
consumes about 1 quart oil every 1000~1500 miles

thats all i can think of right now...
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

I'm going to be taking mine on a long distance test drive to see if the oil consumption is normal or not. Either way, I'm going to tune out AFM with Range Technology's Active Fuel Management Disable Device , swap the oil with royal purple, and if I do see sings of oil consumption, I'm going to Gunk MF3 flush the engine.
Old June 24th, 2013, 8:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey joe try changing the pcv valve. fairly simple fix maintenance, especially if it gets rid of the oil consumption. and your a diy guy anyway. can't be more than $10. with the afm if it's a simple tick and it's running good i might leave it alone but if it's bothering you, you can do as 1stburb says and disable it with a tuner. as for most of the other stuff, it's mostly maintenance, especially being that the truck went to 100k. it's expected. shocks normall changed at 60k. 5-6 years out of an air compressor usage everyday-again expected to die at some point. wheel bearings at a 100k too-brakes and rotors-same as well as u joints. especially up here in the north east with the salt and crazy weather! things are gonna break down. even the rear hatch-i know its a stupid design with a plastic gear but gain wear and tear. but i understand your pain and you probably tackled all these thing together making it overwhelming.
Old June 24th, 2013, 9:23 AM
CF Senior Member

trainwreck91,
The pcv valve replacement will take care of or cut down on oil consumption?

And yeah, its gets frustrating at times with this car. Bought it on my last day in Texas from our friends by subtracting the difference between the 02 and the 07. Had 50K Texas daily driver miles. And boy can I say the north is harsh on cars. Our 02 didn't have nearly a lick of rust with 100k. Not even the chrome that many people seem to have a problem with.

Quick Reply: First Suburban: Someone Tell Me I Can Calm Down