Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

FOG LIGHT Bulbs ? Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOG LIGHT Bulbs ? Need some help!

I am looking for the fog light bulb for the Tahoes, I heard its a GM ONLY part #??? This is B.S. IMO. I should be able to get this bulb# cross-referenced for people if someone can post a picture of it, NEXT TO A RULER if possible(high-res) I am in the auto parts business and I am determined to figure this out for you guys cause I get 10 emails a day from people and about 5 phone calls a week for this bulb. If someone gets me this picture and I CAN cross REF it, I will send you a free set of these bulbs! Post away! Good luck!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tahoes! Fogot that, 2007 Fog bulbs!

looking for 2007 fog bulb pics!
Old October 4th, 2006, 2:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tahoes! Fogot that, 2007 Fog bulbs!

It is a GM proprietary part only and cannot be x-referenced with any current bulb.
It may be bull**** but it's a fact.
The reason this was done was to prevent aftermarket (illegal wattage and/or light spectrum) bulbs from being used, they can melt the housings and burn up wiring.
Old October 4th, 2006, 3:32 PM
CF Active Member

Will no other bulb on any kind fit the light?
Old October 4th, 2006, 5:28 PM
CF Addict

Not to my knowledge but I’m confident that some Einstein will start selling a cheap Taiwan made 200w purple replacement lamp to blind oncoming traffic soon enough.
Old October 4th, 2006, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: FOG LIGHT Bulbs ? Need some help!

This seems a little hard to believe that they would be more concerned with a $75 fog light to protect it with a proprietary bulb and then go and use H11s in the headlight housing that retails at $299 and you can get H11s at PepBoys in 100W versions in any color from blue to green. Who are they trying to protect, US or their parts department? I am in the auto parts industry and I will tell you this they are charging $32 a bulb (at GM) for these fogs and they last about 4-5 months if you use them a lot at night, that is not only ridiculous, but it leave a HUGE gap in the aftermarket industry, which usually fills those gaps pretty quickly with a item that automakers gouge people on. Check out SEMA.org for more info on that! I give it 3-4 more weeks before you see them all over ebay! By the way a 7744 bulb looks very similar and they are about .$75 each wholesale from germany made company.
Old October 5th, 2006, 1:09 AM
CF Addict

You have a point on the headlight bulb but look at how hard GM made them to replace this year.
The only thing dumber than GM charging so much for this bulb are the idiots driving around with their fog lights on for no reason, I've left mine on accidentally a time or two and not once did I have one person tell me how cool I was for having them glowing.
Old October 5th, 2006, 1:14 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Not to my knowledge but I’m confident that some Einstein will start selling a cheap Taiwan made 200w purple replacement lamp to blind oncoming traffic soon enough.

.... now that is some funny stuff right there. [sm=funnypostabove.gif]

~digdug
Old October 5th, 2006, 2:49 AM
CF Beginner

I dont use my spare tire a lot, but I would like it to work when I need it, and when I go to get my tire fixed, I'm hoping it will cost $100-$150 not $800-$900 which is the same 700% markup GM is using on these bulbs. Whats next.. proprietary oil/filters and wiper blades - lol. Just for the record, I have never seen anyone drive with fog lights on unless it was raining or foggy at least not around me its illegal, and people would get ticketed if using them during the day, like in the old days of the IROCs where you could "leave" them on. All my vehicles you have to manually turn them on each time you need them and from the customers I get most bulb failures are a result of water or moisture in housing, at least with fog lights cause they are so low.
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM
CF Addict

First off the GM Fog Light bulb is part #15839897 and it lists for $23.50 not the $32 that you have claimed above, and most dealers and parts suppliers are happy to sell this part for much less.

You've made a few statements that I find suspect, above you claim that "no one in your area uses there fog lights unless in fog" but above that you claim that the stock GM bulb is only lasting "4-5 months", I think we all know that this simply isn't the case.
What vehicle do you think most of us on this forum are driving?
Do you think any of us have owned our Tahoe's for longer than 4-5 months?
How many of us do you think have had to have our fog light bulbs replaced?

For the record: the stock GM bulb is a high quality low power consumption halogen unit with a service life of 25,000 hours, it is designed to last the life of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: FOG LIGHT Bulbs ? Need some help!