Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front ac warm,rear cold.

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2020, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front ac warm,rear cold.

Hi, I've got a question regarding my 05 suburban with front and rear ac. The front recently started blowing warm air while the back is stilling blowing cold. Checked freon,added a small amount from kit at auto parts store. Guage on can said system had sufficient amount. Ac line coming out of firewall that has low side fitting in it is cold. Accumulator is warm. Ac clutch cycles on and off,no noise from compressor. This has the dual front temp controls,both sides blow warm no matter what temp is set at. It will blow warm if its set for vent,floor or defrost. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks.
Old June 4th, 2020, 3:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigh
Checked freon,added a small amount from kit at auto parts store. Guage on can said system had sufficient amount.
Get a pro to pull and weigh the refrigerant amount, only way to really tell the refrigerant amount. Sure hope that "can with a gauge" didn't contain any sealers, or you may be sh*t out of luck !
Old June 4th, 2020, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cusser
Get a pro to pull and weigh the refrigerant amount, only way to really tell the refrigerant amount. Sure hope that "can with a gauge" didn't contain any sealers, or you may be sh*t out of luck !
Well I guess I might be sh*t out of luck, because it had sealer in it.
Thanks for the response.
Old June 4th, 2020, 6:45 PM
CF Pro Member

I've read that AC shops will not service systems that contain sealers, as sealer can muck up their recovery/filling equipment. A "fix in a can" is not a fix !!!

Yes - I know these companies advertise how easy this is !!! Ask at http://autoacforum.com/ if you don't believe me.
Old September 4th, 2023, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Damm guys, the man said the rear is cold, why waste the time going to a 'professional ' to get hosed. I would say clearly there is another problem. Check your freon omg what a lame answer
Old September 4th, 2023, 3:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Checked freon,added a small amount from kit at auto parts store.
2005 has R134a; "freon" is R-12. I sure hope that the R134a you added did NOT contain any sealer chemicals, you could cause real and expensive damage.

added a small amount from kit at auto parts store. Guage on can said system had sufficient amount.
Such gauge cannot determine whether your vehicle has "sufficient amount"; even correct low and high side service gauge set cannot get a good "answer" on whether the amount of refrigerant is correct. The only real way to tell is to have a shop recover the R134a and weigh that (expensive equipment).

Accumulator is warm. Ac clutch cycles on and off,no noise from compressor. This has the dual front temp controls,both sides blow warm no matter what temp is set at. It will blow warm if its set for vent,floor or defrost. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks.
Have a REAL AC shop diagnose and fix this. Front AC has orifice tube, rer has thermostatic expansion valve, so complicated. This means NOT a brake place with a sign out front !
Old September 6th, 2023, 2:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue with my 94 burb. Not sure if the under-dash air distribution is similar to what you have, but i had a malfunctioning air distribution door regulator.