Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front Axle seal leaking...

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2016, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Axle seal leaking...

I was having some brake repair done yesterday. The mechanic said the front axle seals are leaking (not sure if left, right or both at this time).
It seems to be a minor leak since I never notice any fluid that has dripped onto the pavement after being parked for a long period of time.
How urgent is it to repair this? What if I don't?

I have a 2005 Suburban with 233,000 miles on it.

Thank you all
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the one on the drivers side leaking on mine. I did not think of it as urgent, but I did make sure to check and top off fluid in the front diff. I think I had like one drop on the pavement every so often of diff fluid.

Eventually when I went to replace my front axles, I did the repair myself. Went fairly easy but you have to take your time getting the old one out and the new one in. The part that goes into the diff actually popped out pretty easy for me...I think I used a pickle fork? on it. This leads me to think that it had been done before.

I would climb under and look around at least and see what they are talking about. Maybe its the boots on the half shafts that are split? Mine were as well... so I just did everything at the same time.
Old March 18th, 2016, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your kind reply! I will be keeping an eye on the fluid level for sure.
Old March 19th, 2016, 4:26 AM
CF Beginner

My Alignment Guy reported both the left and right front axle seals were leaking on my 2004 Suburban, about a week after having drained and refilled the Front Differential/IFS with Valvoline Syntech 75W-90.

He had it up on the alignment rack, so I got a good look at the seal areas and they were wet, draining fluid, and there was lots of old dried residue on the surrounding parts. I suspect the seals had been leaking for some time, and when changed to full synthetic, it washed away the crud showing the leak more extensively.

I chose to have a local dealership to handle the replacement of both seals for about $600 total, with a one-year parts guarantee:

Labor - $440.00

Front Differential/IFS – replaced left and right axle seals GM 22761722 at a cost of $48.54.

Front Differential/IFS – refilled with GM89021671 80W-90 Gear Oil at a cost of $38.40 for two quarts of mineral oil.

Front Sway Bar – replaced passenger-side sway bar link with GM 10385580 as part of seal replacement at a cost of $36.22.

4WD – replaced CV Axle Spindle Nuts GM 11609826 as part of seal replacement at a cost of $10.94.

Last edited by Hrpchr; March 19th, 2016 at 4:28 AM.
Old March 20th, 2016, 1:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was quoted ~$600 as well to replace both of my front axle seals on my 07 Tahoe. I did not notice any major leaking in the front seals when i just recently did an oil change.

Last edited by Typerod; March 24th, 2016 at 3:01 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 8:11 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting the oil out and back in isn't costly, and neither is the seal. Getting the old one out without messing anything up seems the more difficult part, as well as putting in the new seal. But it can be done.

I would worry more about what "else" they find when doing the job. $600 doesn't sound unreasonable to me, other than I wouldn't pay it because I know I can do it myself. But its after they get it up there, take off the half shafts and the boot rips because it is old, or its already ripped...then they notice something else...and the costs pile up because "you should do it while your in there".

I recall the boots on my half shafts being torn and it showed to me at the dealer during a oil change. I forget what the quote was...I want to say its more than $600...I was really worried. I drove on them like that for a year and they were fine. I even saved the old ones to rebuild if I want to because still in such decent shape. I put new ones on myself...not oem but still...much cheaper. They work fine. Hardest part about the job is having a torque wrench big enough to put the axle nut on.