Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front End Alignment/Excessive Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2016, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Alignment/Excessive Tire Wear

I am pulling my hair out over an excessive tire wear problem. Here is the history.

In August of 2014, I hit a telephone pole while backing up and swinging my Suburban hard to the right. The pole jumped out of nowhere as it was in the blind spot of my left hand mirror. Dumb, yes, but it happened. The impact was mostly on the left front tire that was turned way to right but the fender took the hit also. After the impact, the steering wheel was canted about 90 degrees to the left when driving straight.

After having the repairs completed, there was a noticeable pull to the right. I could let go of the steering wheel and my Suburban would head straight for the right hand curb. I took it back and they re-checked the alignment. They said it was OK, but it still had the pull to the right that was not there prior to the accident. I have now had three separate repair shops look at the front end. The alignment has been performed about eight times. Everyone keeps telling me that if there were damaged front end parts they could not get it into alignment.

About two months ago, I noticed a noise in the front end when pulling up to a stop sign. I took it to the dealership and they discovered the left front bearing was totally destroyed. I had it replaced. Could this have been damaged during the impact with the telephone pole? Could this have been the problem all along?

The big problem is tire wear. I am on my second set of tires post-accident and they are now totally shot with less than 2/32 remaining. Anyway, I need to get another set of tires and 15,000 miles or so just isn’t cutting it.

Any ideas or suggestions? Front and rear tire pictures attached.

Thank you for your help.

Old June 7th, 2016, 7:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

-the images show no irregular tire wear pattern. the tire is worn evenly across the tire. are you rotating your tires?

-something was bent in the impact as indicated by the off-centre steering wheel. what parts were replaced?

-if the bearing was damaged in the impact, if would have failed much sooner than 2 years later.

the pull to the right: Is it gone after the wheel bearing repair?
when you let go of the wheel, does the steering wheel turn right a small amount and then the vehicle goes right... or does the wheel stay straight and the vehicle pulls right?

post the printout of the final alignment.

Last edited by tech2; June 7th, 2016 at 7:56 PM.
Old June 8th, 2016, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Yes. I have been rotating the tires. I rotated them two times since 7/16/15.

I do not believe any front end parts were replaced after the accident.

The pull to the right stopped after the last alignment on 7/16/15. I am attaching a copy of the alignment specs. Just before the 7/16/15 alignment, the dealership suggested I replace the tires which were in horrible shape. The alignment was done on brand new tires.

That's about all I have. Going to mount new tires tomorrow. It would be nice to figure out why the are wearing down so fast.
Old June 8th, 2016, 6:50 PM
Super Moderator

If the pull is gone after new tires and the alignment...the pull was from the tires as they only set the toe...which will not cause a pull.

the alignment has a large cross caster which should have been adjusted but was not. the caster readings indicate a pull right. Caster is not a tire wear angle. None of the current alignment setting will cause accelerated tire wear. the diagnostic angles do not indicate any bent parts are present.

Is this vehicle used for towing? How heavily is it loaded? What load range tire is on the truck and what type of sub is it 2500, 1500, model year? do you have teenagers who drive this truck?

Last edited by tech2; June 8th, 2016 at 6:54 PM.
Old June 8th, 2016, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Not used for towing.

I will need to check the tires and will post later

It is a 2004 Suburban LT 1500 AWD. I am the original owner.

No kids. I am the only driver except for my wife who uses it on rare occasion.

All tires prevoius to accident yielded about 40-50,000 miles.
Old June 8th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

list the specific tire that you had on it and I will check its ratings.
Old June 9th, 2016, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Old June 9th, 2016, 10:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the set of tires in the pics above, purchased as used tires or brand new?
Old June 10th, 2016, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Typerod
Are the set of tires in the pics above, purchased as used tires or brand new?
I purchased them new at Sam's club.
Old June 10th, 2016, 5:10 PM
Super Moderator

I googled the tires in question and came across several reviews; people reporting the same mileage as you and the tires were worn out. 30 000 - 35000 kilometers.

I love my goodyear wrangler duratrac...they are a load range E tire...so will $ more but so much better in the winter than the bfg. the long treads are a cheap tire.

Last edited by tech2; June 10th, 2016 at 5:17 PM.