Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2007, 10:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Spoiler

I have a DFQ here...

Today was the first real snowfall in my part of NY (75 miles north of NYC) and after the roads were supposed to have been cleared, etc... I took my 07 out for its maiden voyage in the snow...

Well.... the roads weren't very clear nor was the parking lot I had to go into. In fact the lot was unplowed.

We got 10-12" of snow here by the way...

I digress.....

I noticed some serious drag when 'plowing' through that parking lot. I've been driving 4x4 trucks for the past 15 years and have never felt this anomaly. I actually got out and walked around the 'hoe and saw the cause of the drag -- the front spoiler below the bumper.

Outside of making the nose of the truck look a bit meaner than if it weren't there, does it really serve any functional purpose?? I know that it's supposed to direct the high-velocity air the normally goes under the truck into the engine compartment, but... this thing is more of a hinderance than a benefit IMHO.

Is there an easy way to eliminate some of the rake in the front end?? When I had my 04 avalanche, the dealer did something with the front end (rotate the torsion bars I think) to raise the nose close to 3" in a fruitless effort to eliminate a mid-gate water leak. For the record, it didn't help. Is this torsion rotation an possibility on the 07 Tahoe??

Any ideas would be welcomed!!!
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front Spoiler

I noticed that piece too. I think its to give better steering performance and fuel economy(creates less drag) at higher speeds.

I think, you can take it off. If so, let us know and post a pick so we can see how it looks.

I havent had the luxury of hitting anything yet with it....but i will. Its too low for a vehicle thats meant for offroad.
Old February 15th, 2007, 7:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the real selling point is the drag factorand MPG.

I too felt it scraping as I pushed through the CRUST that was once soft snow then frozen rained turned it intovery HARD snow. That stuff is now concrete and I have been very careful to avoid any further contact...so far.
Old February 15th, 2007, 7:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZX - any comment??