Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Fuel Additive Information

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Additive Information

Has anyone heard of or used a gasoline additive named Sea Foam? If you have heard anything about it please share. If you have used it before please share that info as well. TIA!
Old February 12th, 2008, 2:04 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Additive Information

Heard of it from friends that use it in their jet skis. Never used it myself. I use Techron.
Old February 12th, 2008, 2:54 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Techron is the only gasoline additive recommended by GM.
Old February 12th, 2008, 4:18 PM
CF Active Member

No need to use it on a newer vehicle......Most of the time people will use it on higher mileage vehicles and have heard positive results.
Old February 12th, 2008, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

So as long as you use Techron regulary say every 6k miles or so is it worth paying 100 bucks from the dealer to have the Fuel Injection cleaned or is this a waste of money?
Old February 12th, 2008, 5:55 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Techron actually does a very good job at preventing and cleaning injector and engine deposits, Techron is not as strong a cure as the fuel injection cleaning done at the dealership, but if Techron is added in higher concentrates it can do nearly as good a job on neglected engines.
Think of Techron as Aspirin and the dealer Fuel Injection Cleaning as Open Heart-Surgery, if you take aspirin religiously you may be able to avoid having an open-heart. [/b]
Old February 12th, 2008, 5:59 PM
CF Active Member

Are you talking about the Sea Foam that you put in your intake to clean out your engine? Because that stuff produces a white smoke that comes out of your exhaust for quite some time.
Old February 12th, 2008, 6:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sea foam, according to the information on the can, is, added to the fuel tank,a gasoline additive that cleans the throttle body and injectors, andalso, when added to the oil, an oil additive that cleans carbon and other deposits from the lifters and other internal engine parts. I have used it as an oil additive before and it did quet a sticking lifter and smooth out the engine.
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Good to go, Thanks ZX.
Old February 13th, 2008, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

ZX can you elaborate on what exactly you mean by higher concentrates, I don't want to overdue it in a tank. Are saying 2-3 bottles in a full tank to get a "good cleaning"? On say a vehicle with 100K on it that has never been done. I have a 03 TB w/ 106K that I use fuel cleaner every once in a while in it and never had the FI cleaned by the dealer but it runs and idles great.
Also I have an 07 Tahoe w/ 34k and I use Techron Fuel pretty regulary and Cleaner a couple of times again it runs like a champ.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Fuel Additive Information