Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Fuel Additive Information

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2008, 11:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Additive Information

ORIGINAL: RonH

Sea foam, according to the information on the can, is, added to the fuel tank,a gasoline additive that cleans the throttle body and injectors, andalso, when added to the oil, an oil additive that cleans carbon and other deposits from the lifters and other internal engine parts. I have used it as an oil additive before and it did quet a sticking lifter and smooth out the engine.
Ron,

How much SeaFoam do you add and how long before the oil change do you add it in?
Old February 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seafoam comes in an 8 oz can. The instructions are to add 4 oz to your oil. That's about it as far as their instruction go on the product itself. There may bebetter information on the net, but I haven't looked.

I added 4 oz in and drove 50 miles or so and I heard the lift get quieter. Then I changed the oil and added in the other 4 oz. The lifter completely quieted after another 50 miles or so.
Old February 13th, 2008, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

I purchased my Tahoewith 43k on it. At 45500 miles I ran 1/2 can through the brake booster vacuum line, put the other 1/2 canin the oil fill, and put a whole can in the gas tank which was about 1/2 full. I waited 20 minutes and drove it pretty aggressively until there wasn't any more white smoke (about 5 miles around town). Two days later (about 50 miles later), I changed the oil to Mobil 1 synthetic. The oil was dark brown, almost black even though it only had about 2500 miles on it since the dealer prep service. I've read that this is from the Sea Foam breaking down the gunk built up from dino oils.

This seemed to smooth out the idle and my wife has noticed that it stays in V4 mode more often and "runs betterlike the '08 we demoed". Shewasn't aware of what the Sea Foam was supposed to do. I will repeat this every 20k minus the oil treatment (this isn't necessary if I continue to run full-synthetic).

NOTE: I poured the Sea Foam into a cup so I could monitor how fast it is drawn into the engine. I started the Tahoe and then removed the clamp and hose to the brake booster. The engine will run rough as it sucks in a bunch of air. I brought the hose close to the surface of the Sea Foam in the cup and let it suck it up like a wet-dry shopvac.The engine will surge while the Sea Foam is added.Be sure to let it suck in air as well. DO NOT JUST SUBMERGE THE HOSE END into the Sea Foam because this could flood the cylinders with non-compressible fluid and cause hydrolock.
Once the 1/2 can is gone, shut the engine off and wait 10-20 minutes. Then restart the engine. It will turn over a few more times than normal before it starts. Once started, you can fog the neighbors or just drive it aroundfor a few miles until the white smoke stops. Higher mileage vehicles will have more build up and therefore more smoke.

Even if you do not put this directly in the oil, you should change the oil no more than 100 miles after putting Sea Foam through the Brake Boost Line (using it as a gas additive to clean the injectors will not affect the oil). They suggest changing the oil because some of the Sea Foam can get past the rings and down into the oil and affect the oil's properties.
Old February 13th, 2008, 3:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes to the changing the oil. I had another sentence on the end of my post, but somehow I must have deleted it before I posted.

I changed the oil again 1t 250 miles and it was really thin and black. I think the seafoam breaks down the oil as well as contaminates it with carbon that it's removed from the engine components.
Old February 13th, 2008, 8:09 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

Personally I think if you do regular only changes and a bottle of Techron once a year, you aren't going to need the Seafoam treatment. The only thing that doesn't get cleaned with any of these is the throttle body which I think has to be removed to be cleaned. At least the one on my old Dodge minivan did.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 2:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Iused the Sea Foam in the gas on my 00 Tahoe Limited...bad idea. It through the SES light and a O2 sensor came up....so I replaced the O2 sensor...25 miles later the SES came back on and the new O2 sensor was showing bad again. I drove her and after I refilled the tank the SES went out and all was good. No more Sea Foam in my fuel tank.