Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Fuel fill issues: whistling noise and back pressure

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2015, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel fill issues: whistling noise and back pressure

2005 Suburban 1500, 2WD, 5.3 Flex

For about three years it has been increasingly difficult to fill the tank. At first I got a whistling noise, then it started to kick the pump off. Sometimes I can't get any flow at all before the pump kicks off. Sometimes I have to fill at a rate less than a gallon per minute.

It has thrown off a P0442 code a couple of times lately.

I've looked at all the comments here, and have now replaced the Evap Canister, Vent Solenoid and Purge Valve. The fill problem persists.

I note that there is a TSB with regard to some of the pickups. But it does not appear to be attached to this vehicle.

Anybody got any suggestions?
Old November 22nd, 2015, 1:03 AM
CF Veteran

vent hole plugged? have you tried fueling with any part of the evap system unhooked to pinpoint a clog?
Old November 22nd, 2015, 4:01 PM
CF Active Member

sounds like your vent solenoid is stuck shut.typical on gm trucks and cars.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Done that...

I've already replaced the vent solenoid (with the old one, not the TSB kit) and the canister.

I did not try blowing out the vent hose when I replaced the solenoid vent. I'll give that a try.

Then I'll try detaching the hose at the canister and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I'll take apart the filler vent and see if I've got a problem there.