Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

fuel gage reading wrong

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2016, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel gage reading wrong

Last week my wife called saying the fuel gage in our 2008 Tahoe was not reading right. She had filled it up the day before and drove about 50 miles and was on 1/4 tank. Told her to refill to make that it wasn't stolen over night, only took 4 gallons to refill it. It keeps jumping around , will go up to 3/4 then down low enough to trip the low fuel and ask if want local gas stations, was on low light last night went and filled it up and took 9 gallons. Going to go by mileage on the trip meter until we can find out the problem, not sure really trusting it right now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dan
Old May 6th, 2016, 7:55 AM
CF Veteran

more than likely the sending unit in the tank but could be a number of things, do you have access to a scanner and electrical tools?
Old May 6th, 2016, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Been a mechanic for fourty plus years .I have a snap on 2500 scanner that was last updated in 2000, but has the generic obd2 on it, and all the electrical tools that I should need. Will see to make sure connections at the tank are not dirty if I can get to them without dropping the tank, right now we are just keeping it close to full all the time.Just to much electrical on it to just start poking and cutting wires not being sure what to look for.
Old May 7th, 2016, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

not sure if generic will do it but first thing I usually do is see if you can access the cluster and do a gauge sweep with the scanner, then I normally go straight to the pump connector. In most cases unplugged the gauge should show nothing and jumped should show full, then if you really wan to be sure you can take resistance readings of the sender itself.