Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:59 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2006, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Replacement

Lost the pump on my wife's truck yesterday. No pump noise and it won't start. Spark is good and I recently (within 3K miles put all new ignition components on it). It's a 99 with about 100K miles on it. Everything i read on the pumps indicates that’s about normal life for them.

Here’s my questions for those that have done this already.
• I’ve got the tank most the way down, but I can’t figure out how to remove the fuel lines. Is there a special tool to remove the lines? It looks like they push on but they’re not moving coming off and I don’t want to break the plastic they’re connected to. I’ve never see a connector like this, most the cars I tinker with are 30 years older then this truck. Also, there’s a black line toward the front of the tank that will need to come off, haven’t gotten that far though.
• Once the tank is down, is it a matter of rotating the assembly where the fuel lines connect to remove the unit. It kind looks like the sending unit is built into the pump.
• Any other tricks, tips or gotchas you guys have run into performing this task?

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

Chuck
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Fuel Pump Replacement

b45701,

Any luck? I, too, have to replace a fuel pump (tomorrow!) on a 99 Tahoe, and was hoping to find tips and tricks here.

Any advice you can give? Did you need any special tools? Did you replace the wiring harness? Etc, etc...

Thanks!
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Tom, it wasn't too bad of a job. My biggest problem was draining 30 gal of fuel. Ended up pulling the fill hose that connects to the tank, drop in a line for suction. If u have an air compressor, take the hose (the end going to the gas can u are about to fill) and cut a slit in it. Then take your sir nozzle and blow air away from the tank. This will create a vacuum for u to get the fuel out. The other problem I had was on the fuel line connections. There’s a goofy little tool that NAPA sells ( I think it was $10) that's supposed to fit between the plastic fuel line on the pump and the actual fuel line itself. I could not get the tool to fit in there and ended up cutting the plastic in the pump. Once this was done I was able to then use the tool and pop out the portion left in the fuel lines. There’s 2 of them, supply and return. Pretty straight forward other then those 2 problems.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

I've read about the fuel line connectors, and the tool used to disconnect them. I'll take a look at the parts store later today.

The truck has between 1/8 and 1/4 tank of fuel, so I hopefully I won't need to drain it. In fact, I'm thinking this chronically low fuel level contributed to the pump's failure. The Tahoe belongs to my wife's girlfriend, and she said she often lets it get low and even then doesn't put a lot of fuel in it (gas prices). In researching this last night, I've learned that these pumps run too hot when there is not enough fuel in the tank to help keep it cool. In fact, there is a TSB that recommends replacing the harness when the pump is replaced, since so many of the harnesses are heat damaged (TSB 04-06-04-088B JUN 05 Fuel Pump - Connector Replacement Recommendation). By the way, if anyone has the full text of this TSB I would sure appreciate a copy. I found an very similar sounding AC Delco "Service Bulletin" titled "Replacement of Connector When Replacing Fuel Tank Module/Fuel Pump Module" and numbered 05D-J-083. It says that it is applicable to the 1996-2003 Tahoe, so...

You can find a copy of the AC Delco bulletin here.

But, yeah, if anyone has the Chevy TSB 04-06-04-088B...that would be nice. Or any other 1999 Chevy Tahoe TSB's for that matter.

Good tip with the air compressor, too...I'll keep that in mind if I do in fact drain the tank.

I'm supposed to work on this today - just waiting for it to be towed to my house!

Thanks again, fellas...
Old March 4th, 2006, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Well, replaced the pump the other day. Wasn't too bad. The tank was about 1/8 to 1/4 full, so I didn't need to drain it.

The fuel and return lines were a pain to disconnect. I got the little tool for $5, but it didn't really help as much as I was hoping. It wouldn't fit very well! The plastic 'bracing' between the tubes on the top of the pump was in the way. This was probably the hardest part of the job.

For anyone else tackling this project - drain the tank as low as possible. The lighter the tank, the easier this will be.

The two straps that hold the tank up take a 15mm socket for the bolts.

All in all, it's not too bad. I definetely wouldn't pay someone to do this. My wife's girlfriend said the shop quoted her $800 in parts and labor. That's when I said, "Sheeesh, I'll do it." New pump at AutoZone was about $190. Took me maybe 4 hours - and a good portion of that was messing with those fuel and return line connectors. She's happy 'caused I saved her $600 bucks. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old April 1st, 2007, 1:49 AM
CF Beginner

I am changing my fuel pump, and I have the tank out I just can't figure out how to take out the fuel pump itself, there is no screws or anything that looks like I need to use a tool, so is it that I need to twist it some how and it will come out, I have no clue, you please help me, thanks, very much appreciated.
Old April 1st, 2007, 2:11 PM
CF Junior Member

here's a linkto helpya just go directly to page 5of the pdf. http://magnacharger.com/pdf/manual-G...00-2003-06.pdf