Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

G80 Up Front?

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2009, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G80 Up Front?

I've just done an axle oil change on my 2002 Suburban 1500 4x4 LT. I have the build sheet for it, it stated "Locking Rear Differential $252" however, when I drained the oil it was obvious the rear axle was a bog standard rear axle, which made me think the dealer had "Ripped" the original owner for $252, but when I dropped the skid pan, the front axle was I believe to be, according to the glove box info' a G80. My question is: Is this normal, to fit a locker/limited slip to the front axle? I've asked this question on another forum and the two replies I received more or less said I was mistaken, and that G80 are only fitted to the rear. Now I'm not completely "round the bend" but I've owned the motor for two years and not had any problems, never been stuck in snow, sand, mud etc, in fact in the snow, if I hit that "Auto 4wd" button when stationary and floor the loud pedal, there's no wheel spin and the Suburban takes off as if on a dry road. So: Is it normal to have a G80 on the front?
Keep Rockin'
Gus in the UK.
Old October 17th, 2009, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

To answer your question. I would say no. Good idea. I have a rock crawler jeep. Having a front locker or LSD is great. But, normal? I say no.

Now, I have a question to your post. The auto button. Do, you have to be stopped? Or is it under 55mph ok? Meaning if your driving and it starts to snow, it's ok to hit the auto button. I thought that was the purpose of the auto button?

Thanks
Old October 17th, 2009, 7:23 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevy does not make an IFS front with a locker.
Yes the "auto" position can be engaged while moving, you only need to be stooped if you go in or out of 4 low.
Old October 18th, 2009, 2:46 AM
CF Beginner

Great thanks! 4-lo is also "n" and not "d" if I remember?

Thanks
Old October 18th, 2009, 7:00 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suburban4cern
Great thanks! 4-lo is also "n" and not "d" if I remember?

Thanks
You would be correct.
Old October 18th, 2009, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mudmaniac
Chevy does not make an IFS front with a locker.
Yes the "auto" position can be engaged while moving, you only need to be stooped if you go in or out of 4 low.
I looked in my 2002 Tahoe/Suburban owners’ manual to see what oils to use in the axles. For the Front Axle: It reads: SAE 80W-90 Axle oil (GM Part No 1052271). When I checked on the web what GM 1052271 oil is used for, this was the answer
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
If you have a locking differential G80, you need to use SAE 80W-90 GL5 Gear Lubricant, GM P/N 1052271. Do not use limited slip additive.<o></o>
<o></o>
It would therefore appear that the 2002 4x4 Suburbans with a G80 limited/locking diff’ are all fitted to the front axles, why else does the manual instruction recommend the use of GM 1052271 in the front axle?<o></o>
<o></o>
The Recommended oil for the rear axle is SAE 75W-90 synthetic GM Part 123782
Which is for use in the normal standard axle.<o></o>
<o></o>
I would still like to know if this is standard practise and was wondering if there is a GM Chevy Suburban department I could contact at GM?<o></o>
<o></o>
I’d like to thank everybody for their comments. Cheers.
Old October 18th, 2009, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Where did you get your build sheet? I don't show (per glove box) I have a G80. Intersting.
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Here's your answer from an old post where I asked if G80 was available in the front:
<TABLE class=tborder id=post42148 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead> 09-27-2007, 01:15 PM <!-- / status icon and date -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- user info --><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>ZX1100F1 <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_42148", true); </SCRIPT>
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Aug 2006

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_42148><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title --> RE: Locking Rear Differential?
<HR style="COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Yes only the rear axle.
This type of locker would not work well on the front axle since in its operation it completely locks up both wheels on the axle, this would make it very difficult to control the vehicle under certain conditions.
And since so much traction can be attained by the front tires the use of a G80 up front would put a tremendous amount of stress on the front suspension and steering system.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old October 19th, 2009, 2:06 AM
CF Beginner

Jeeps install them all the time. It's the only way to wheel

My $.02
Old October 19th, 2009, 7:49 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yes

Yes off road a front locker can be a lot of fun, but on the street I wouldn' do it! and a limit slip is only good until 1 wheel looses 100% traction...

If you need a front locker, selectable on/off is the only way to go!

My Rubicon came w/air lockers, I've only had to use the front one a few times... I 'wheel at Rausch Creek in Tower City, PA. I will see if I can post some pics or a link to my FB

Quick Reply: G80 Up Front?