GM Active Fuel Management Woes - Page 20 - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Active Fuel Management Woes

Old February 6th, 2017, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Noob here who's shopping for a Sub or Avalanche maybe... I'd be getting a 2009 - 2011 most likely based on what I think I can afford.

Is there any way to inspect a used vehicle for "health" of the AFM system and engine in general? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old October 1st, 2017, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

at least they offered to pay something. I have a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3ltr AFM. i replaced the motor last year with only 89,000 miles. Chevrolet denied any problems with system, they company that put in the new motor told me that the system failed let oil into the gas and ruined low end and top end. I had the long block replaced but not to sure of the fuel mgnt. system anymore and I am looking for a good way to do it. I saw a show on TV that they replaced the valves put a shim in the cam and replaced valley cover to get rid of solenoids. I just read an article on the V8 Range I am not sure i would like to find out more about it or somr otherway.
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Uh-oh.

My 2007 Suburban 1500 5.3L has the same problems.

I bought a "tune" to disable displacement on demand (DOD)/active fuel management.

But it's still consuming oil @ 75,000 miles, though not as much as before I disabled AFM.

Always have used synthetic since I got it @40,000 miles, but what else should I do in order not to have to buy a new engine?

Last edited by ncbill; March 26th, 2018 at 10:58 AM.