Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Gm ftw

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2015 | 1:36 PM
CF Addict

Default GM For The Win

GM strikes again

How Not To Treat Your Customers: GM Edition

Another 100k on the Tahoe and we will never again be a GM family.

I'm thinking a RAM 2500... or maybe since we only tow a lot in the summer... can I rent a RAM2500? Even rental costs of $2,000 / year would be cheaper than ownership... No oil changes (lol, don't have that now anyway)... no inspections, no insurance (cost), no repairs.. hmmm

I'm totally going to look into this now.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; July 27th, 2015 at 7:39 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2015 | 4:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Really?

There's a lot of missing information in that story. I think there's another side that's being ignored/concealed. GM says, "Sorry, we can't help" and he says "Golly, aw gee, shucks" and walks away? I'd go to the dealer, the regional rep, and even to GM corporate.

I'm curious why the cause of the fire wasn't investigated properly, either by GM or the local authorities.

Firemen are not trained investigators. Their opinion is worthless as to the cause of the fire. What were the circumstances just before the fire? Did the driver not notice a warning or a spiking gauge? Vehicles don't usually spontaneously burst into flames without warning.

Just about all rented vehicles have their receivers removed. No rental company wants a renter towing a trailer. Unless you were talking figuratively about leasing.

I haven't looked at any of the new trucks in person, but on paper an Ecoboost F150 would be close to the top of my list. Much better mileage and more low-end torque than the GM 6.2 motor. The 6.4 Hemi is a good (and thirsty) motor, and the Aisin 8-speed is a great match, but the rest of the truck is substandard compared to Ford and GM. Again, this is based on the reviews I've read and seen online.

PS - every one of your vehicles has a fire extinguisher, right? Hell, my 08 Suburban has two.

Last edited by intheburbs; July 23rd, 2015 at 4:20 PM.
Old July 24th, 2015 | 7:57 AM
CF Addict

Default Fires

I always carried one in my Jeep for off road use. Low speeds + heavy torque needed means a hot time.
On a trip one guy (not in my group!) opened his radiator cap hot... WHY?! why do people do that?

His arm was scalded from fingers to shoulder. Bright red. What a genius. It's HOT... opening the cap won't make it any less HOT. It will only hurt you.

My Tahoe has one in it. As does the boat. The boat even has an automatic one in the engine bay.
I wouldn't dismiss the firefighter's input, but yes, it's not technically their job.
How do you remove the hitch from a vehicle with it built in? the Tahoe, Suburban, and many of the RAMS all have the receiver built in.

I thought I saw website for renting heavy equipment (F250,350, etc)... I can't imagine you'd rent a F350 for any reason OTHER than towing...

The 2016 F150 gets a 10 speed auto, doesn't it?

3/4 Ton 4 Wheel Drive Pickup Truck Rental - Business Use ...
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...hreeQuarterTon...
3/4 Ton Pickup Trucks with 4-Wheel Drive are available with towing hitches for Business Rental use from Enterprise Truck Rental.

"** Towing capability not available for consumer rentals."

WTF?

so, I rent it under my company (Which I own a company)... what's that matter?

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; July 24th, 2015 at 8:57 AM.
Old July 24th, 2015 | 9:04 AM
CF Addict

Default Towing Rentals

So, apparently Towing with a rental isn't just something I want to do.

People do it with campers and such too.

And you don't have to own a company, you just have to rent from their 'other' section. it's not cheap, but it's a LOT cheaper than owner ship.

Even $100/day, it would take like a week to equal a month of ownership, and that doesn't include any repairs, inspection, etc.

Open Range RV Owners Forum ? View topic - Wrecked the TV - Suggestions for getting Camper Home?

(((FROM FORUM))) Thanks everyone for their concern and suggestions. Thankfully, we're back on the road again! Called and talked with the folks at the Enterprise Commercial Rental "truck farm" in Houston. No problem renting me a truck to pull camper with. Only problem was that I wanted a one-way rental and the only thing they had available for one way rentals was an F250 gasser with the extended cab (only 2 doors & small bench seat in back), it would be cramped, but we could make it work. Also, the "We'll pick you up." thing does not apply to the commercial rental department. So, I called the regular Enterprise car rental place about 15 miles down the road, rented the cheapest car they had for a one way rental, drove to the "truck farm", turned in the car and rented the truck. When they pulled the F250 around, I noticed that it didn't have a brake controller. After pointing that out, they found a Silverado 2500 gasser with brake controller and thankfully a 4-door cab. Back to the campsite, hooked up and then found out that even though they built that Silverado with the Tow/Haul switch, and brake controller, they neglected to put towing mirrors on it - just the small standard pickup mirrors.

It works, but, I feel half blind with the camper behind, and there's been more white knuckle moments due to swaying than what I'm used to. But overall, I'm just glad to back rolling again.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; July 24th, 2015 at 9:10 AM.
Old July 24th, 2015 | 11:47 AM
Administrator

I am 99% certain the 2015 Suburban my daughter had for a rental while her vehicle was being repaired after hitting a deer, had the receiver hitch, it was an Enterprise rental....the trailer brake harness was still in the package in the rear cargo area...
I personally am really liking the Tundra and considering it as the next replacement for my Tahoe...Kids are all grown/growing up so a 4 door, 5 seater truck with a bed will work better for the wife and I's needs...Plus I can tow the space shuttle if need be
GM having so many parts manufactured in China concerns me... the Tundra is now more American made then the Chevy's and Dodges... Ford is #1, Tundra #2, for made in America...
Old July 24th, 2015 | 11:58 AM
CF Addict

Default hmm

I'm working on the math of tow vehicle ownership vs. rental

My wife LOVES my model S... so much that she will either end up with mine (when I can afford a P85D), or she'll end up with a Model 3 at some point.

So that leaves us needed to own a tow vehicle. the (future) towee would be a 10,000 lb dry boat + fuel + cargo + trailer... so safe side puts us around 14-15k of hauling.

F250/350?

But, more important than the vehicle selection is... own vs. rent.

As much as I love boating, let's be honest, if we can hit the lake 10x a summer, it's a damn good summer.

So, on average, that's 20-25 days of use. out of 365 that seems just plain stupid...

So, rental or used $25k truck... that's the math.

No registration, no inspection costs, no repair costs, always a newer vehicle... no oil changes.

So, where's the break even on rental vs owning for a seldom used vehicle?
Of course we haul jet skis too, so maybe I can't get away with a rental... since we jet ski almost weekly in the summer...
Old July 24th, 2015 | 11:59 AM
Administrator

With respect to the guy with the pick up that caught on fire, I wasn't sure why the insurance company only had to pay him the financed amount. Does that mean if he paid cash for the truck that they wouldn't have tho pay him anything?
Old July 24th, 2015 | 1:27 PM
CF Addict

Default true

sorry, got off topic.

Yea, I don't know what there deal is, but most insurance companies like to screw you over big time... Ohh you have 1,000 miles on a brand new truck you paid $50,000 for? ... How about we give you... $35,000. Yep, KBB says we owe you $35,000 and will jack your rates every year for the next 20 years, even though every day the value of what we are insuring goes DOWN...

I hate car insurance.

You'd think the insurance company would go after GM, but... I'm sure GM has deeper pockets.

With the age of the vehicle, GM should just replace it. Looks like having a dealer in the middle has done nothing for this transaction.. *cough* *cough* Texas...

Then on the other side was a high school (friend?).. some kid, who bought an old car for like $2,000.

Wrecks it, and gets a 5k check from the insurance company... I understand how that works, but it seriously seems unfair.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; July 24th, 2015 at 1:31 PM.
Old July 24th, 2015 | 4:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Every person on the planet with an IQ over 70 should know that you lose at least 10% or more of your purchase price on a new vehicle as soon as the odometer rolls past 200 miles.

The insurance companies offer riders or gap insurance to make up the difference. If you're stuck owing $45k on a totaled $50k truck and the insurance company is only offering $40k, you've got no one to blame but yourself.

Some insurance companies, maybe Liberty Mutual?, offer one model year newer if you wreck your car with less than 10k miles. At no charge.

Bottom line - caveat emptor.
Old July 27th, 2015 | 7:44 AM
CF Addict

While all cars lose value, and Full Size SUVs pretty much top that list, three months old? I'm not sure this event warrants this type of loss, especially if it's attributed to a part failure. If it wasn't part failure... what was it?

Yes, many insurance companies now offer new or better car replacement, however should this even be an insurance claim? What's the latest news on it?

http://carbuzz.com/news/2015/7/24/A-...-Well-7728267/

http://coloradofans.com/forums/145-2...os-inside.html

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; July 27th, 2015 at 7:47 AM.