Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GM Suprises no one by risking a child's life, since you didn't pay for DeathStar.

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2013, 7:06 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GM Suprises no one by risking a child's life, since you didn't pay for DeathStar.

Should OnStar Have Helped A Non-Subscriber Who Locked Baby And Keys In The Car?
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a shame that Onstar didn't open the vehicle for the woman in need. I am sure that if they had, she would have been a customer for life. I am glad to hear that nothing happend to her child.

I have always had Onstar on my vehicles as an insurance, in case of a severe accident. Luckily, I have never had to use it for that purpose, but know that it is there if is is required.

Overall, it has amazed me when the Onstar service has worked, when there is no cell service. In one case, I called emergency services for a person had hit a deer and took the front end off their truck, but couldn't reach anyone by cell.

Hopefully this incident will get Onstar to reconsider their internal policies.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old March 27th, 2013, 1:24 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default agreed

This could have been a PR "OMG GM / OnStar are so awesome"! moment... but no.

Give us your $9.99 or the baby dies.

Looks like Chrysler is adding a similar system to the 2013 or 14s

Your GM has a 5 watt cellular based connection, it's just like your phone, but about 100x more powerful since it's not right next to your brain when you make a call. It's verizon (or was, I think the new ones are ATT). so while your phone may not work, the vehicle MAY.

However, there are still locations where nothing works. My wife's grandfather thought it was "all satalite"... i said...no, it's not. Its cellular. He locks the keys in it, out in the middle of no where. Calls OnStar (land line) and nope. can't unlock it.

There's a HUGE difference OnCrack between 'Can't unlock it' and 'Won't unlock it'.

What a shame. I bet it was outsourced to some country where they don't value human life.

I'm 1/2 tempted to call OnStar and ask about there child killing policy.

My problem with OnStar is it should have a pay per use option. it should also notify 911 when you crash WITHOUT a monthly fee.

YOU PAID For the crash sensors, Cellular modem, and all the crap IN the vehicle already. 911 is a FREE call (well, the rest of us pay $1/month for it, check your bill).

So, here, I will write some code free, for GM to use:

If crash == True
Then
Call 911 + play message "Hello, this is an automated message from a crashed GM vehicle. Airbags have {been / not been} deployed at GPS coordinates XYZ... ETC

End if

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD that was easy.

But, you didn't pay your $9.whatever. So instead your vehicle, which has all the tools and equipment to do this... did nothing. It stood by because it's bean counting developers would rather you die.

Well, I hope some day I get to test this in court, because I see a clear violation of duty to assist/help. GM has something that can help, it's built into the vehicle. You paid for it when you bought the vehicle.... but alas, sorry, you die.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; March 27th, 2013 at 1:30 PM.
Old March 28th, 2013, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Hello Group,

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a Remote Door Unlock if the OnStar system or hardware in the vehicle is disabled. The only way to obtain OnStar services is to press the blue OnStar button twice so that an account can be configured by an OnStar Advisor.

We are glad that both Venessa and her daughter made it through this experience relatively unharmed.

Corbin, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old March 28th, 2013, 9:28 PM
CF Veteran

^^^ nice to do research and know what the facts are before blabbering gossip...just my thoughts
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Well that brings up the question, what if you are in a crash, if you are a paying subscriber OS will dial help for you...if not, its so sad too bad? hopefully the critters won't eat you alive before someone drives by and finds you...

So if you don't subscribe and for what ever reason you need immediate assistance and you do press the OS button will they help you or ask for a credit card first?

OnStar, you would do well to offer a small one time a year fee to keep the system active and then go with a "pay per use" or just a "accident monitoring mode" I'd be willing to pay $10 to $25 a year for that service...

It could be paid up front too for say 5-7 years...
Old March 29th, 2013, 5:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
^^^ nice to do research and know what the facts are before blabbering gossip...just my thoughts
yep!!

If my kid was locked in my car and it was a crisis; I wouldn't have to debate with tow-truck drivers, cops or on-star...the window would be smashed.

Last edited by tech2; March 29th, 2013 at 5:58 PM.
Old March 29th, 2013, 9:46 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Well that brings up the question, what if you are in a crash, if you are a paying subscriber OS will dial help for you...if not, its so sad too bad? hopefully the critters won't eat you alive before someone drives by and finds you...

So if you don't subscribe and for what ever reason you need immediate assistance and you do press the OS button will they help you or ask for a credit card first?

OnStar, you would do well to offer a small one time a year fee to keep the system active and then go with a "pay per use" or just a "accident monitoring mode" I'd be willing to pay $10 to $25 a year for that service...

It could be paid up front too for say 5-7 years...
I've suggested that to OnStar several times since 2002. No dice.
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tech2
yep!!

If my kid was locked in my car and it was a crisis; I wouldn't have to debate with tow-truck drivers, cops or on-star...the window would be smashed.
exactly...i dont like to rely on others when it comes to serious matters
Old March 30th, 2013, 8:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the title of this thread should be: mother leaves child locked in car because she is to cheap to replace a window, or pay for a lock out service. Somehow it GM's fault?

Quick Reply: GM Suprises no one by risking a child's life, since you didn't pay for DeathStar.