Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Going on long trip "5000 mile w/07 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2014, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going on long trip "5000 mile w/07 Tahoe

I've had my truck about 2 years and am planning a trip, about 5000 miles. My Tahoe has 81.243 miles on it. After looking at the threads on all the problems with 07's, I'm wondering if it's a good idea or not. I've had a couple of issues but nothing major. Seems the afm problem starts about my mileage . Would a blackbear tune solve the 4 to 8 problem and what should I do prior to the trip

Suggestions are requested!
Old May 21st, 2014, 1:17 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well

just go drive it.

if you've driven over 80,000 miles so far, what exactly makes you think it will break down now?

(Other than the 2 billion GM recalls affecting everything they've touched in the past 100 years)?
Old May 21st, 2014, 6:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

these vehicles are built for travel! period! the size and comfort is what makes people buy these beasts! same reason why they are also used for car service and preferred by so many. like saber tooth said...go drive it. only thing i would do is change he oil and maybe keep an extra qt or 2, make sure tires are up for the trip and maybe keep a tire plug kit and compressor, and last a set of jumper cables. always better safe than sorry!
Old May 22nd, 2014, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Ref: long trip

The reason I was asking was this was done at 65.500 miles an I got the truck at 71.100 piston, rod and/or rings-one Cyl-both banks-replace. Is this AFM repair?
Originally Posted by trainwreck91
these vehicles are built for travel! period! the size and comfort is what makes people buy these beasts! same reason why they are also used for car service and preferred by so many. like saber tooth said...go drive it. only thing i would do is change he oil and maybe keep an extra qt or 2, make sure tires are up for the trip and maybe keep a tire plug kit and compressor, and last a set of jumper cables. always better safe than sorry!
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah built for travel... Ours had the right front caliper lock up right after new rotors and pads on a mere 5 hour trip. Had to buy a new caliper, rotor, and pads. After getting back from that trip the front left wheel bearing went... Another new caliper, bearing, and pads...

But, with that few miles. You have nothing to worry about for now. Its when you get near and over 100K. Thats the death line. They seemed to be designed to die at 100K or pretty damn close to it...
Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
Yeah built for travel... Ours had the right front caliper lock up right after new rotors and pads on a mere 5 hour trip. Had to buy a new caliper, rotor, and pads. After getting back from that trip the front left wheel bearing went... Another new caliper, bearing, and pads...

But, with that few miles. You have nothing to worry about for now. Its when you get near and over 100K. Thats the death line. They seemed to be designed to die at 100K or pretty damn close to it...
Really? So, my '08 with 120K miles, which I'll be using to drag my 7,000-lb travel trailer to the Grand Canyon and other places (~5000 mile trip), which has been mechanically FLAWLESS (except for minor issues with the DVD/Nav, but I don't use it anyways), is a breakdown waiting to happen?

I've already dragged the trailer to Alabama back in January, a 2000-mile trip, and the odo was at 110k.

Every car maker has a few lemons get through. Even Lexus, BMW, Porsche, etc. I love how some of the most vocal guys on here are owners of lemons, who bash Chevy every chance they get. Sell it, and get something else!

Nowadays, 200K on a truck is a reasonable expectation. Heck, I have an 09 Impala with 87k that is still running like a top, not even any squeaks or rattles, and my biggest repairs have been tires and two batteries. Used to be 100k on a car would mean it's falling apart.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 3:03 PM
CF Active Member

Have an 07' Tahoe with 154K on the odometer and do 800 mile trips back and forth to California all the time.

If 100k is the death line, mine must have 9 lives cause it runs like a champ.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

My 07 has 95,000 and we are about to hook up the camper and head to lake Eufaula, round trip and local driving should put another 1,000 miles on her but I have no concerns.
Sure something could happen but it can also happen on a brand new vehicle....

It will ultimately come down to how you have treated and maintained your vehicle...
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, we tow two main things, 3,000lbs of a ski boat and 5,000 lbs of "ski boat". No towing abuse there. And SO MANY things have gone wrong with this damn truck its ridiculous. I have a nice big list of things gone wrong since 95K miles. And it has been such a piece of work I am fully tuned off of GM... Somehow, of all things, the burb has decided to give me a break on he stupid afm crap. It still runs good and the V4/V8 works like it should.

Ours was a custom Pre-Order built 12/06, we bought it from the original owners, our friends in Feb. 2009 with 50K. It was his daily driver to work and back. Family was NOT allowed in it. Such a big disappointment to our 2002. We bought it the day before we left Texas drove it for the first time the day we left. That trip sucked. It is not near as comfy, quiet, or smooth as our 2002. What a let down to do a 20hr+ drive in a new car that was a big down grade...
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Saber or Joe, same story, different thread!

I took my 08 4x4 LTZ Burb on a 5000 mile trip to San Diego through Arizona/Grand Canyon and back with out a single issue, okay okay I had to replace a headlamp...

the first trip I took it on was 2500 miles around Lake Michigan, and I didn't have any issues, except for the Air shocks finally going.(I pulled the fuse once I noticed the air compressor running) It was at 155,000 when that happened, and I've since replaced them.(at 165k now)

The truck burned oil, but I already knew that was happening, and it stayed constant the whole trip. 1 quart per 1000 high way miles. In town I barely burn 1 quart per 3000. AFM

Quick Reply: Going on long trip "5000 mile w/07 Tahoe