Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Got a Weird One Here with No Crank!

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2018, 8:55 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got a Weird One Here with No Crank!

I'm looking for ideas here fells and ladies,

I've got a 1999 Suburban C1500. I replaced the transmission in it and also had to replace the ECM not long after. Once I did that, I haven't had a single issue until yesterday. I went out and started it and backed it into my driveway to load some items. When I got back in to start it, it wouldn't crank. I got power, but no action on the starter at all. I had somewhere to go, so I popped it into neutral and coasted it back out onto the street.

Later on, I went to take a look at it. When I put the ignition switch to position 1, I got a light under the P on the PRND321 instrument cluster. When I moved to position 2, the light went out. When I tried to crank, still no light and no crank or starter engagement. Now, I replaced the PRNDL module when I replaced the transmission. I checked every fuse and every relay...they were all good. However, I did get one really weird unexpected result. Testing the interior fuse box fuses, when I touched my test light to the 10amp crank fuse, the truck cranked (I had the key in the run position)! Then, it started. I hooked my scan tool up to it to see the live data. When it was running, it was seeing which gear selection I had perfectly. P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1. I turned it off with the key and tried to start it. NO CRANK and no PRNDL light in the cluster. The live data on the gear selection and brake light switch would also not update until the key was back in Position 1 where the readout screen would quickly change before losing the connection. I also noticed that when it started from shorting the crank fuse, the A/C compressor would not engage even though the scan tool showed the relay for it was switched on. Next, I attempted step one of the VTD relearn procedure. I used a wire to short the crank fuse for a bump with the key in. I let it sit for about 15 minutes. When I came back, the truck started and the PRNDL lights on the cluster worked perfectly along with the A/C. I stopped and started 3 times just to be sure. However, today I went out and tried to start it and again, nothing. No crank, no starter engagement. I checked the starter wires, they were fine.

I suspect it's either a bad PRNDL module or the ECM I recently put in. But, I was hoping someone could help me out here. I don't want to just throw money at it, I don't have it to throw! I sure would appreciate any ideas.