Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GPS problems on '07

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 10:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS problems on '07

Let me see if I can describe my problem. When I program my GPS for a destination, sometimes it give me turn by turn voice directions but other times nothing. I check to see if voice commands is on, and it is. Sometimes when the voice commands start, after about 2 or 3 commnads (turns, etc), it stops. Has anyone experienced this before? The gps still shows the outlined route even though no voice commands.

The street name window disappears when the above happens also. When just driving dwon the road with no destination programmed in the unit, the street name window shows. Sometimes after about 10 minutes or so, this windwo goes away.
Old May 18th, 2006, 4:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: GPS problems on '07

Maybe the DVD reader on the unit is on the fritz, ot a faulty DVD.
Either way, as I am sure you know........the big "W".

Only problem is that dealership techs can't work on this stuff so it's trial and error up to a point.

Or......the radio has to take a trip to the Delphi repair center.
With the 07 Nav radio on constraint and a ton of aftermarket installers ordering a few radios to install at Chevy dealerships in vehicles that do not have Nav, I can see the demand has far exceeded the supply!

On another note......for those wanting to upgrade to a Nav radio.......
Older generation Nav radios are on ebay all the time.
Might start seing some of the 07 Nav radios show up on ebay as folks rip out their entire systems and replace it with some aftermarket stuff.

Keep us posted how it goes with your radio
Cheers!
Old May 18th, 2006, 9:18 PM
CF Active Member

I have a scheduled appointment next week. Will update you. Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:18 PM
CF Active Member

It is not a bad cd. It was replaced today and still have the same problem. Scheduled another appointment next week to leave it.[]
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:10 PM
CF Active Member

Got the Tahoe back today and no, the GPS is still notworking correctly. I took the service tech out and showed him what it was and wasn't doing. He told me after several calls to GM, he was told that since there is no error message displayed, there is nothing wrong with the unit. He knows as well I, there is a problem. So they suggested I call GM and complain. I did and I am waiting for them to get back with me on Wednesday...Who knows. I will keep you posted.[]
Old June 8th, 2006, 3:58 PM
CF Active Member

I have now called GM customer service. They have opened a new case for the GPS.
Further updates as the happen.
Old June 16th, 2006, 2:46 PM
CF Active Member

Now into about the 6th week and many, many telephone calls with GM and visits to the dealership...we think we have the problem figured out. But this was sorta by accident.

The engineers at GM kept telling the service tech that since the navaigation was not giving an error code....nothing was wrong with the unit. I happened to mention this to a service tech that now works for Chrysler one day. He used to work for the Chevy store where I purchased my LTZ. He said it sounded like the navigation had a memory issue. The RAM or something.[]

I mentioned this to the customer service guy with GM. WELL....one week after mentioning this he calls the dealership and says that appartently some others are experiencing this same problem and that the navigation has 2 memory chips. And one, possibly both were malfunctioning. Rather than taking the radio/navigation unit out and replacing one or both chips (if thats possible), the dealership is ordering another unit to replace mine...

So I have an appointment to leave the Tahoe with the dealer Monday for other warranty work and for the service tech to take my radio/navigation unit out to get some numbers off of it to then order the new one...Thank goodness. Hopefully this will cure the ills of the malfunctioning GPS. We give you hopefully one last update with a new and correct functioning GPS.
Old June 20th, 2006, 2:08 PM
CF Active Member

[] Back to the dealer again. Once again had the rear window molding replaced and the HVAC enhancement done. And at last, the NAV/Radio was pulled to get some #'s off of it and the replacement unit ordered. I understand that there is a problem with GM getting these units. I hope this doesn't cause a back order problem.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
CF Active Member

The NAV/radio was replaced today and the new unit appears to be working as designed so far. This is truly a relief to have operating in the manner it was designed...Thanks GM customer service.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Great!

Always good to hear about a dealer issue that has a positive outcome.

Now........what in the world is this about........."HVAC enhancement"

Thanks

Quick Reply: GPS problems on '07