Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Harsh Rattle from Transmission Pan in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2022, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harsh Rattle from Transmission Pan in Cold Weather

Hi all looking for some help solving a harsh rattle mystery. Purchased a 2017 Suburban last summer with 110k on it and the transmission failed in October. Dealership partially paid for remanufactured transmission from GM. Weather started getting cold in MN in the fall and I noticed a harsh rattle noise coming from what appeared to be the transmission pan or transfer case. This happened throughout the winter on especially cold mornings. I could be paranoid but as you can hear from the video the noise is loudest in the transmission pan area.

Sounds like someone shooting a bunch of bb's at a metal pan.

Here's the mystery
The rattle noise is very loud with cold weather starts but I can't hear it once the truck warms up. I also cannot hear it when it's above freezing outside, only when it's really cold. If I start up the truck and drive off right away in cold weather, the rattle persists for a few seconds in drive and then disappears. I took it to the dealer last week and they really didn't know what it was and they replaced an exhaust clamp. Of course it was a warmer day when I brought it in and they could not replicate the noise. Temps dipped a little bit last night and I could hear the rattle again this morning although not as bad as it was over the winter.

Any thoughts? It's driving me bonkers!!

Old December 31st, 2023, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cold transmission rattle

Originally Posted by john3906
Hi all looking for some help solving a harsh rattle mystery. Purchased a 2017 Suburban last summer with 110k on it and the transmission failed in October. Dealership partially paid for remanufactured transmission from GM. Weather started getting cold in MN in the fall and I noticed a harsh rattle noise coming from what appeared to be the transmission pan or transfer case. This happened throughout the winter on especially cold mornings. I could be paranoid but as you can hear from the video the noise is loudest in the transmission pan area.

Here's the mystery
The rattle noise is very loud with cold weather starts but I can't hear it once the truck warms up. I also cannot hear it when it's above freezing outside, only when it's really cold. If I start up the truck and drive off right away in cold weather, the rattle persists for a few seconds in drive and then disappears. I took it to the dealer last week and they really didn't know what it was and they replaced an exhaust clamp. Of course it was a warmer day when I brought it in and they could not replicate the noise. Temps dipped a little bit last night and I could hear the rattle again this morning although not as bad as it was over the winter.

https://youtu.be/NmPAYB02WGc

https://youtu.be/d8ZAkZlrE2Y
Did you ever figure out what your cold rattle was? I have the same noise on my 17 gmc Yukon only when below freezing and before transmission warms up. Sounds the same. I have dropped pan and serviced transmission without fixing the problem
Old December 31st, 2023, 5:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

make sure it's not a loose heat shield. See if the sound changes in 'D'
Old January 4th, 2024, 3:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default Trans rattle

Does not appear to be a loose heat shield. Also I have not been able to find an external rattle from exhaust or heat shield. The noise will change/ vanish for a second when tapping transmission pan with rubber mallot. After a few minutes the noise always goes away and doesn’t come back until it’s been sitting in cold weather again.
Old January 4th, 2024, 3:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default Trans rattle

I have tried to attach a video of the noise
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2489.mov (15.68 MB, 22 views)

Last edited by Isaiah907; January 4th, 2024 at 3:32 AM. Reason: Attachment
Old January 4th, 2024, 4:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

sounds like a struggling pump
Old January 17th, 2024, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by john3906

Here's the mystery

https://youtu.be/NmPAYB02WGc

https://youtu.be/d8ZAkZlrE2Y
Did you ever figure out what it was, I have this same sound.